DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Connecting 3 GFCI's (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/connecting-3-gfcis-33854/)

Sophist 12-16-2008 11:56 AM

Connecting 3 GFCI's
 
I have a laundry room and I have 3 GFCI's I'd like to wire together. I have 12-2 going to them but can't get the outlets to work?

I have started the first one with the line(from power) to load, then then the line to the second outlet is connected to the load. Then on the second outlet. From that the former load line goes into the line, then out from the load to the third outlet which is connect to the line.

I get the LED to light on the first outlet, but have no power and the second and third outlets have no LED and no power.

Thanks in advance for your help!

hpp58 12-16-2008 12:14 PM

Wire all your GFCI's on the line side.:thumbsup:

Sophist 12-16-2008 01:21 PM

Thanks! That's the one setup I haven't yet tried:thumbup:

DangerMouse 12-16-2008 01:47 PM

yup, line in, load out to next outlet line in, etc.

DM

AllanJ 12-16-2008 02:02 PM

When the 12-2 feed serves only the GFCI protected receptacles you need only one GFCI unit sized for the amperage of the circuit.

Feed to first outlet where (let's say) the GFCI is located, connect feed to line side terminals.

Connect continuation 12-2 cable to load side of the GFCI receptacle and go to next outlet box where plain duplex receptacle is located. Continue to third box with plain duplex receptacle.

Sophist 12-17-2008 09:59 AM

That did the trick...Thanks a lot all of you. I really appreciate your help!:thumbsup:

Gigs 12-17-2008 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllanJ (Post 198856)
When the 12-2 feed serves only the GFCI protected receptacles you need only one GFCI unit sized for the amperage of the circuit.

I've never seen anyone use a 20 amp GFCI just because the circuit was 20 amp.

hpp58 12-18-2008 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigs (Post 199503)
I've never seen anyone use a 20 amp GFCI just because the circuit was 20 amp.


210.21(B)(1)
A single receptacle installed an a branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than of the branch circuit

jerryh3 12-18-2008 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpp58 (Post 199616)
210.21(B)(1)
A single receptacle installed an a branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than of the branch circuit

Have you ever seen a single receptacle gfci?

hpp58 12-18-2008 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerryh3 (Post 199620)
Have you ever seen a single receptacle gfci?

http://www.passandseymour.com/litera...I_brochure.pdf

Wildie 12-18-2008 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpp58 (Post 199616)
210.21(B)(1)
A single receptacle installed an a branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than of the branch circuit

I thought that 20 amp recpts. required a T slot.
Pardon my ignorance, as we rarely use 20 amp circuits for residential use,here in Canada.

jerryh3 12-18-2008 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpp58 (Post 199631)

Doesn't the receptacle and switch count as two different outlets? Therefore, none of those listed would be considered a single receptacle.

AllanJ 12-18-2008 10:17 PM

Now individual GFCI receptacle units at each of several outlets may be the way to go if the GFCI's are 15 amp and the circuit is 20 amp.

1. There are more than one of them so 15 amp receptacles can be on a 20 amp circuit.

2. 15 amp sub-branches may not be hung off a 20 amp circuit so the load terminals of these GFCI's may not be used.

Stubbie 12-18-2008 10:41 PM

Are you guys bored or what......:) No reason to make this so complicated :jester:

OOOOPS did I say that.....:laughing:

Jim Port 12-19-2008 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllanJ (Post 199975)
Now individual GFCI receptacle units at each of several outlets may be the way to go if the GFCI's are 15 amp and the circuit is 20 amp.

1. There are more than one of them so 15 amp receptacles can be on a 20 amp circuit.

2. 15 amp sub-branches may not be hung off a 20 amp circuit so the load terminals of these GFCI's may not be used.

If you read the box you will see that the 15 amps GFI's are rated for 20 amp pass-thru. It is fine to use the LOAD terminals to continue the circuit.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 PM.