Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #1

Share |

Is this connected correctly?

I currently do not have power in my garage although it was wired at one time. Can anyone tell if this is connected correctly (see photo)? The line on the left is coming from the garage floor (line in) and the line on the right goes up the wall to a motion light. Then there is a line coming from the motion light running up the ceiling to a box at the crown of the roof. It then splits off 3 ways from the box. One to each wall, which go to light sockets, and the third breaks off to the other side of the garage for another motion light.

What do you guys recommend? I currently do not have a tester, but the fuse is on, on the garage circuit at the panel in my basement. Thanks!

Jesse
Attached Thumbnails
Is this connected correctly?-garage_light_switch.jpg  
jpearson311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
Master Electrician

You are kidding, right?
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brric For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (10-30-2011)
Old 10-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
Electrician

Can’t tell much of anything with that picture, the switch is in the way. The only thing I can tell is that there isn’t a connector on the right hand cable where it enters the box.

What are we supposed to recommend?

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpearson311 View Post
I currently do not have power in my garage although it was wired at one time. Can anyone tell if this is connected correctly (see photo)? The line on the left is coming from the garage floor (line in) and the line on the right goes up the wall to a motion light. Then there is a line coming from the motion light running up the ceiling to a box at the crown of the roof. It then splits off 3 ways from the box. One to each wall, which go to light sockets, and the third breaks off to the other side of the garage for another motion light.

What do you guys recommend? I currently do not have a tester, but the fuse is on, on the garage circuit at the panel in my basement. Thanks!

Jesse
For all we know, that is the mystical History Eraser Switch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD515 View Post
Can’t tell much of anything with that picture, the switch is in the way. The only thing I can tell is that there isn’t a connector on the right hand cable where it enters the box.

What are we supposed to recommend?
Look at these pictures. Does it look like it's connected correctly?

Jesse
Attached Thumbnails
Is this connected correctly?-garage_light_switch-001.jpg   Is this connected correctly?-garage_light_switch-002.jpg   Is this connected correctly?-garage_light_switch-003.jpg  
Old 10-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpearson311 View Post
Look at these pictures. Does it look like it's connected correctly?

Jesse
Nope, wait a minute. Nope, lost it in the fog on my crystal ball. Maybe if you flip it, it may work, it may not. Beware, due to it will transport you back in time.

I do love posts like these, because it passes time on a slow Sunday Evening. jpearson311, when you get around to finding out where the other end of that goes, so you can find out, that it will be cheaper to rip out that 1930's/1940's era wiring and update with newer and safer wiring, we will all be here to hear your plans, and hopefully you will show us all proper wiring diagrams of what you want to do, vs. pictures of lets find Waldo.

: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
Electrician

It appears to be a 3-way switch, and from what you said about the right hand cable, the right hand cable is the load side, so the left hand cable probably goes to another 3-way switch somewhere, and that’s where the power source cable should enter the circuit. You’ll want to find the other 3-way switch.

Greg’s suggestion of upgrading the wiring is a good idea too.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Nope, wait a minute. Nope, lost it in the fog on my crystal ball. Maybe if you flip it, it may work, it may not. Beware, due to it will transport you back in time.

I do love posts like these, because it passes time on a slow Sunday Evening. jpearson311, when you get around to finding out where the other end of that goes, so you can find out, that it will be cheaper to rip out that 1930's/1940's era wiring and update with newer and safer wiring, we will all be here to hear your plans, and hopefully you will show us all proper wiring diagrams of what you want to do, vs. pictures of lets find Waldo.
I want the power to turn on in my garage. That's all.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:50 PM   #9

Is the motion light working?
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post
Is the motion light working?
I just looked at the motion light and well, it's not a motion light, but rather just a two bulbed light. However, when I got up on my ladder, I noticed that there was a broken bulb end inside one of the receptacles (there are 2). I started unscrewing the broken bulb end and it sparked. Does this mean that it's hot? I put a bulb in there, but nothing happened.

Jesse
Old 10-30-2011, 10:25 PM   #11

Making progress!

Go check your circuit breaker for that. Turn it off, then back on and see if that light now works. See if the switch makes the light go on/off.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post
Making progress!

Go check your circuit breaker for that. Turn it off, then back on and see if that light now works. See if the switch makes the light go on/off.
I checked the garage circuit on the breaker box and it was on. I turned it off and then back on again, went and tested the light again, but no go. I'm stumped. I guess I could post a video of my entire garage wiring starting from the inlet. It's not really that complicated.

Jesse
Old 10-30-2011, 10:57 PM   #13
Electrician

This is when a meter comes in handy to test the voltage at various points of the circuit. You can pick up one for $20 or less.

The problem could be a few different things…bad wire connection someplace, bad bulbs, bad light fixture(s), etc. You said it sparked when you changed the bulb, so I’d say there should be power at the fixture, but the neutral might have a bad connection, for example.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:35 AM   #14

I would put two known working bulbs in that light fixture (try the bulbs somewhere else to be sure they work, then put them into that light fixture).

Next check *all* the breakers in that panel. Sometimes things are mislabeled. If a breaker is tripped, it might still look on. It would be just a little to the off direction.

Then try flipping that wall switch after you do that. See if one or both of those lights will come on.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD515 View Post
This is when a meter comes in handy to test the voltage at various points of the circuit. You can pick up one for $20 or less.

The problem could be a few different things…bad wire connection someplace, bad bulbs, bad light fixture(s), etc. You said it sparked when you changed the bulb, so I’d say there should be power at the fixture, but the neutral might have a bad connection, for example.
I bought this on my lunch break today and I will be testing it when I get home tonight. Hopefully there is a connection.

Jesse