Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Confusion over ampacity rating for 10/4 SOOW

Hi,

I am installing a manual transfer switch for a 7000 running watts generator. Many of the cords from Reliance Controls, Gentran etc state they are 30A cords made with 10/4 wire and 14L30 connectors.

I am looking at having a longer cord and want to construct a 75' cord from SOOW 10/4 90C cable and attach the 14L30 ends myself. It doesn't seem voltage drop will be siginificant based on the calculators I have found.

However, ALL of the 10/4 SOOW cable states it is rated at 25A, while 10/3 is 30A. I'm confused since all of the major generator manufacturers are selling these cables advertised as 30A cables good for 7200 watts but all of the 10/4 SOOW bulk vable I can find is 25A.

Am I making this more difficult and worrying too much? One thing I was wondering is if the 25A rating is assuming current would be flowing through all 4 wires, but with the 14L30 there will be 2 hot, 1 neutral, and 1 ground so current should only flow through 3 conductors, therefore is it ok to assume that a 30A load will be ok?

Any advice on this would be appreciated! Otherwise I suppose I could just buy the 40' Reliance Controls cord as the 75' Gentran cord (which is 10/4) is too much $$ whereas I can make my own 75' for about the same $$ as thr Reliance 40'.

thanks in advance!

Scott

smaggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #2

That style cable might not be able to dissipate the heat generated per foot from 30 full amps passing through two of the conductors.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
That style cable might not be able to dissipate the heat generated per foot from 30 full amps passing through two of the conductors.

Thanks for the quick reply Allan! I was thinking that, but am still perplexed how the pre-made cords are sold as 30A cords when the underlying wire is the same.
smaggard is offline   Reply With Quote