Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
Renovating My Land Yacht

Rewards Points: 538

Confusing info from the county re GFCI

Called the county the other day on the requirements on GFCI's in the kitchen. Currently we have none and were going to add one. my understanding was that the requirement is 2 in the kitchen.

I was told by the county that every plug in the kitchen must be a GFCI per code.

I'm trying to figure this one out. If the first plug on a run is a GFCI then everything down from the GFCI is protected, what do you gain by all of them being a GFCI? Am I missing something?

forcedreno2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,090

There is nothing to gain. You only need one at the begining of each circut to protect the rest of the outlets.
Just make sure your incoming line is connected to the line side and the power going out is connected to the load side.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,504

Every plug must be GFCI protected. They don not have to be actual GFCI receptacles. One GFCI can protect others that are regular receptacles.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:59 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

You can use one GFCI receptale at the starting point as the first receptale on that circuit.

As other mention make sure you pay attetion to the line and load connection if you get them cross conntion it will not work.

The other thing it will show up once a while is red conductor if you have them stop right there and let us know we will assit you on this one due it is tricky to deal with it.

Merci,
Marc
Old 11-13-2012, 04:43 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Great point Marc...as allways..!....MWBC"s are very common in kitchens ...also don't be surprised if you need 2 gfics.... now it is code to run 2 small appliance cirs....but we don't know if that is the case in your home...test all the receps in the kitchen to see whats what 1 cir, 2 cir, 3? good luck
Bobka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,026

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedreno2012 View Post
Called the county the other day on the requirements on GFCI's in the kitchen. Currently we have none and were going to add one. my understanding was that the requirement is 2 in the kitchen.

I was told by the county that every plug in the kitchen must be a GFCI per code.

I'm trying to figure this one out. If the first plug on a run is a GFCI then everything down from the GFCI is protected, what do you gain by all of them being a GFCI? Am I missing something?
There could be a local code requiring a ground fault circuit interrupter at each outlet box so that you don't have to go searching for the reset button if you get a trip. Ask to see the applicable code documents at your town hall. If all they go by is the National Electric Code and the hot conductor does not share a neutral with another hot conductor, then you don't need an individual GFCI at each outlet box.

A multiwire branch circuit (hot conductors sharing a neutral) can come into a box where a GFCI is fed, where the MWBC continues on without GFCI protection so far and also a separate 2 conductor cable carries GFCI protection to additional outlet boxes.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-13-2012 at 06:17 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:51 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,066

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Every plug must be GFCI protected.
Is this some new code requirement? I know the small appliance circuits must be GFCI protected, but are you saying the receptacles for refrigerator, range hood, disposal, etc. must also be protected? Mine certainly aren't, but my house was wired to NEC 2005. I also (thankfully) did not have to have AFCIs except for the bedroom circuits.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:53 AM   #8
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,190

Under the NEC only the receptacles that serve the countertop require the GFI protection.
brric (11-17-2012), jrclen (11-17-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,504

I thought we were talking about kitchen counter circuits when I stated every plug needs GFCI. I guess I should have been more specific.

Every kitchen counter receptacle needs to be GFCI protected.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:53 AM   #10
Renovating My Land Yacht

Rewards Points: 538

Thank you all, I did go back to the county and asked them to show me where it stated that they all had to be GFCI circuits and not just protected.

The guys said the other inspector was incorrect and we can just do the first one on the run. I'm happy I don't have to go out and spend $$ on plugs we didn't think we needed.

forcedreno2012 is offline   Reply With Quote