Confused On A Wireing Hook Up - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

confused on a wireing hook up

Hey everyone I need a little help im working in a garage and I have two 2way switches that power the garage door opener and ceramic light on a junction box now, I ran a receptacle next to the garage door opener with 1/2 conduit to a juction box to two more junction boxes to a receptacle to another junction box, the junction boxes are doing to be for lights now this is what I wanna do I wanna take out the 3ways put a single pole switch in and only power the light and the receptacles need to stay on for the garage door motor plug. Power is coming from the junction box next to the garage door opener to the switch there's 14/3 up there now how do I keep power to the receptacles and use the single pole switch to power the lights only? Can someone show me a wireing diagram please?

Advertisement

cbausch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,162

Can you maybe break that all up into real sentences? It is very hard to understand with everything running together like that.

Advertisement

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
Code05 (11-19-2011), gregzoll (11-20-2011), Msradell (11-19-2011), rjniles (11-19-2011)
Old 11-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #3

Sorry. This is what I have now, I have a junction box in a garage that has 14/3 wire in it. I wanna use 14/2 wire and I got a receptacle and the beginning of the run and at the end of the run inbetween the two, I got two junction boxes for the short future for shop lights. Now my question is is how does he receptacles have constant power and I use the light switch with the lights
Old 11-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbausch View Post
Sorry. This is what I have now, I have a junction box in a garage that has 14/3 wire in it. I wanna use 14/2 wire and I got a receptacle and the beginning of the run and at the end of the run inbetween the two, I got two junction boxes for the short future for shop lights. Now my question is is how does he receptacles have constant power and I use the light switch with the lights
The junction box where the 14/3 is at. Is this where the switch is?

Does the 14/3 come from the panel, off a two pole breaker?
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #5

14/3 was from 3ways that were going to a garage door opener. I traced the line as far as I can its at the end of the run and the switch is on the wall. The 14/3 is from the junction box to the switch that's is

Last edited by cbausch; 11-19-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #6

Quote:
14/3 was from 3ways that were going to a garage door opener. I traced the line as far as I can its at the end of the run and the switch is on the wall
Is the wire from the panel in this switch box?

Never mind I found it in your OP.

Quote:
Power is coming from the junction box next to the garage door opener to the switch there's 14/3 up there now how do I keep power to the receptacles and use the single pole switch to power the lights only? Can someone show me a wireing diagram please?
Is the 14/3 in this box the wire from your panel?

The whole garage is conduit?

Last edited by Code05; 11-19-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #7

This is what I had before I started working on it. 3way switches going to a junction box inside the ceiling has 14/3 going into it . There was a ceramic light bulb plate on the junction box. Now what I did was I ran conduit for new light fixtures (2) and (2) new receptacles picture it like this in thethe middle of thethe garage fromand the garagejunction door back, receptacle box (near the garagedoor motor) 4'of conduit to another junction box to 4'more to a receptacle that is going on a wall to another junction box for a light . It sounds like its a mess but its not ( recp-junction-junction-recp- junction) just need to know how to wire everything up
Old 11-19-2011, 11:34 PM   #8

Quote:
This is what I had before I started working on it. 3way switches going to a junction box inside the ceiling has 14/3 going into it . There was a ceramic light bulb plate on the junction box. Now what I did was I ran conduit for new light fixtures (2) and (2) new receptacles picture it like this in thethe middle of thethe garage fromand the garagejunction door back, receptacle box (near the garagedoor motor) 4'of conduit to another junction box to 4'more to a receptacle that is going on a wall to another junction box for a light . It sounds like its a mess but its not ( recp-junction-junction-recp- junction) just need to know how to wire everything up
Just answer this one question. Nothing else.

Which box has the wire from the panel in it? The power feed.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #9

The power is coming fron the panel

Advertisement