DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   confused on switch replacement (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/confused-switch-replacement-108464/)

fullpint 06-22-2011 11:12 AM

confused on switch replacement
 
...hello all! i have a wall switch that needs replaced because it is broken. it is an older switch and it has me confused. the switch is one of two in a box. the one switch (left) controls a porch light. the second switch (right) controls a wall outlet for a lamp. the outlet switch is broken and i want to replace it. now this is where the confusion enters. both switches have the terminals on the top of the switches. the left switch has a wire on the top left terminal screw and a jumper wire on its right top terminal, hooked to the left top terminal on the right switch, and the right switch has two wires hooked to the top right terminal screw. i can't find a replacement switch to match these. i want to hook it back up the same as the old ones but i'm going to need coaching. all the ones available have the terminal screws on the side of the switch. now, should i hook the jumper wire from the left top right terminal screw of the left switch to the bottom terminal on the new right switch? i hope i've not confused you all. :huh: thanks for any and all help.
steve

Jim Port 06-22-2011 11:16 AM

Do the switches say ON-Off on them? I suspect that you have a jumper for power between the two switches instead of a pigtail to supply the power. Can you post a pic?

fullpint 06-22-2011 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Port (Post 672005)
Do the switches say ON-Off on them? I suspect that you have a jumper for power between the two switches instead of a pigtail to supply the power. Can you post a pic?

...yes they both say on and off. i'm sorry i don't have a pic.

jbfan 06-22-2011 11:30 AM

Replace both switchs at the same time.
Look for the wire that connects both switches, and you will see it connects to another wire or wires.
This should be the feed to the switches.
Connect them unde a wire nut, and run a pigtail to each switch.
Use the top or bottom, does not matter.
The other wire on each switch is the feed to the light or receptacle.
Put each wire on the other screw of the switch.

fullpint 06-22-2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbfan (Post 672011)
Replace both switch's at the same time.
Look for the wire that connects both switches, and you will see it connects to another wire or wires.
This should be the feed to the switches.
Connect them unde a wire nut, and run a pigtail to each switch.
Use the top or bottom, does not matter.
The other wire on each switch is the feed to the light or receptacle.
Put each wire on the other screw of the switch.

i just called my brother to have him look at the switch again (it's in his home, incidentally) but he's not home at this time. but i believe he said the jumper wire was only connected from the one switch terminal to the other and not any other wires involved with the jumper. i'm trying to have him take another look. is it possible that the jumper would just be hooked this way? like i said it's confusing me. i wish i could find the exact kind of switch then i'd hook it back up identically. :whistling2:

HouseHelper 06-22-2011 12:14 PM

To replace just one switch... connect the wires going to the left screw of the old switch to the top screw of the new switch; connect the wires going to the right screw of the old switch to the bottom screw of the new switch.

Keep in mind that only one wire can be put under a screw, so you might have to join some wires with a wirenut and a short jumper wire if the old switch has more than one wire under a single screw.

fullpint 07-11-2011 08:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fullpint (Post 672010)
...yes they both say on and off. i'm sorry i don't have a pic.

...i finally got a pic. not a very good one but it may give you an idea.

Attachment 35205


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved