Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Confused with the neutral wire.....

1 outlet in my sons room burned out by an A/C unit plugged in. When I took it apart, the side with the neutral wire was burned up and part of the sleeve of the neutral wire was black. Now my oldest sons room is next door and a few days later his entire room has no power. The circuit breaker did not pop. I replaced the outlets in his room and then replaced the one with the burned neutral. Still no current. However, with the multimeter hooked up I get current from a single hot and the ground wire, but not from the neutrals. I've plugged items in and still no current. The outlet will work if I take the bare ground and connect it to the silver side of the outlet but, I'm sure that would be a bad idea. Any suggestions or ideas from out there? I am no where near an electrician and do not like the idea of being shocked. Simple terms are best for me. Thank you in advance for the tips.

tmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,178

You still have a failed neutral connection somewhere.

Do not connect the bare to the silver screw in an attempt to get this to work. You would be creating a serious shock hazard.

Code05 (06-13-2012), gregzoll (06-14-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,056

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiller View Post
1 outlet in my sons room burned out by an A/C unit plugged in. When I took it apart, the side with the neutral wire was burned up and part of the sleeve of the neutral wire was black. Now my oldest sons room is next door and a few days later his entire room has no power. The circuit breaker did not pop. I replaced the outlets in his room and then replaced the one with the burned neutral. Still no current. However, with the multimeter hooked up I get current from a single hot and the ground wire, but not from the neutrals. I've plugged items in and still no current. The outlet will work if I take the bare ground and connect it to the silver side of the outlet but, I'm sure that would be a bad idea. Any suggestions or ideas from out there? I am no where near an electrician and do not like the idea of being shocked. Simple terms are best for me. Thank you in advance for the tips.

Turn off the circuit breaker to that circuit, open up every box that is on that circuit and check every connection, this could be easy or time consuming, but at least with that one circuit off, you know exactly what boxes to open up and check.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
Code05 (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

The problem could be at the last working or first non-working device.
stickboy1375 (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #5

The first non-working outlet is the one that the A/C unit was plugged in and the neutral wire was burned. The last outlet to stop working is on the same wall two outlets over in the next room. When changing the the outlet of the last one to stop working, I got a friendly jolt a few times. When that happened I checked it with the multimeter and it showed no current. The first outlet that went bad had 2 blks, 1 wht, and a ground. The next one over has 2 blks, 2 whts, and a ground. The last one had 1 blk, 1 wht, and a ground. I am not sure how old the wiring is, the house was built in 1968 and it is 12 guage wire.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,056

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiller View Post
The first non-working outlet is the one that the A/C unit was plugged in and the neutral wire was burned. The last outlet to stop working is on the same wall two outlets over in the next room. When changing the the outlet of the last one to stop working, I got a friendly jolt a few times. When that happened I checked it with the multimeter and it showed no current. The first outlet that went bad had 2 blks, 1 wht, and a ground. The next one over has 2 blks, 2 whts, and a ground. The last one had 1 blk, 1 wht, and a ground. I am not sure how old the wiring is, the house was built in 1968 and it is 12 guage wire.
Take a picture of the receptacle that burned up, I want to see this splice. I mean the box, I don't want to see the actual receptacle that burned.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
Licensed electrician

Normally conductors are in pairs with 1 black and 1 white. The box you described had 2 black and 1 white. I think that is where your problem is. Check to see if the other white is stuck in the box.
Code05 (06-13-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Or broken off where the cable enters the box.
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,478

If any of the receptacles are using the pushin back stab connections, move the wires to the screw terminals. Back stabs are a very common cause of this exact problem.

Last edited by joed; 06-14-2012 at 01:40 PM.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,024

When an individual switch or receptacle or duplex receptacle melts or burns or chars, usually it is because of a loose connection right there.

Using a lot of electricity through a loose connection generates a lot of heat at that spot. It is even possible that the problem started because the loose connection was inside the air conditioner's plug. Then when everything got hot, other nearby connections became loose or bad.

Although not that likely, it is possible that a wire broke inside the sleeve (insulation) causing something to not work even though everything looks okay.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:19 AM   #11

The outlet that burned, I replaced with a new one and connected with the side screws. The old ones I replaced all used the back stab. Checking with a meter, I can complete the circuit with the 2 blk wires, the neutral and the ground. When I go to the next room over, I can only complete the circuit with the ground. I am not getting any current through the neutrals. I am thinking I might have to go under the house and try and trace the wire to see if there is a break somewhere.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:34 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,478

The missing white wire sounds like it is the feed to the receptacle that is not working.