Conduit Tubes - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2009, 06:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Conduit Tubes

In running 1 1/2" Schedule 40 conduit tubes, I need to make a shorter radius 90' angle bend...so I was wondering is it ok to use two of those 45' angle bends from those plastic black drainage pipes. When I attached them together, it still seems pretty smooth in the inside for easy pull...

Any opinions?

Advertisement

genner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,162

Conduit Tubes

NO! You absolutely cannot use plumbing fittings for electrical conduit.

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Conduit Tubes

Why are you doing any electrical?

Please do yourself a favor and do it right.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Conduit Tubes

the minimum radius is controlled by the Nat'l Elec. Code. Unless you have a sweep 90, you have the minimum radius you can use already.

Now, they do make 45 factory bends for electrical conduit. If those fit the bill, then by all means, use them but stay away from the plumbing pipe.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #5

Conduit Tubes

So the conduit tubing I'm making is for Coax and Cat6 cables. I want to make a conduit tube that will run from my garage to a closet downstairs where I'm planning on putting an Internet and Coax junction. Nothing AC related power lines will go into these tubes...

So the best location I can find to run this 1 1/2" schedule 40 10' conduit tube is along side a 2x6 beam in the ceiling. At the end towards the closet, I will need to drill into the 4x6 beam so that it can drop down into the wall between two stud beams. However if I use the regular 45' or 90' angle schedule 40 tubes I will over shoot the space inbetween the wall and will actually end up through the other side of the two dry wall into the other room. <----does that make sense?

So at HomeDepot, I ran into those black drainage pipes you see under the sinks or even the drainage pipe you see for some laundry washers....they're schedule 40 rated as well.

If it still isn't a good idea to use these for just coax and Cat6 wiring, and you please suggest another method to cut down my radius so that I can drop right into the space between the walls?
Old 01-09-2009, 04:29 AM   #6

Conduit Tubes

Why are you using 1-1/2"? How many wires are you running? You could transition to a flexible conduit such as ENT once you get the the bends.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:54 AM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Conduit Tubes

Use an access fitting -- we call `em an "LB"

kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:05 PM   #8

Conduit Tubes

If you are going to drill a 2" hole in a 4" beam, you'd better be careful. You are taking half of the material out.

I'd find a plan B.

You can use whatever you'd like for tour cable/cat5. You could probably pull thru a plumbing sweep elbow. You could also switch to flexible conduit it the 90. You can also just run them in the wall with no conduit.

If it's a closet. you could just come out and down exposed into a surface mounted box.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:48 AM   #9

Conduit Tubes

Reason why I'm running such a huge pipe is because I purchased a structured bundle wire. In the bundle in included 2 x RG6 and 2 x Cat 6 all in one big sleeve. I'm planning on making two runs in the conduit. 1 1/2" is more than plenty but I'm just thinking of the future if I choose to run something else from the garage to the com closet. 1 1/4" is a bit tight for two runs.

Are there such a thing that allows a flexible 1 1/2" conduit attach to a 1 1/2" rigid conduit for this 90' angle?
Old 01-10-2009, 10:14 AM   #10
Licensed Pro

Conduit Tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by genner View Post
Reason why I'm running such a huge pipe is because I purchased a structured bundle wire. In the bundle in included 2 x RG6 and 2 x Cat 6 all in one big sleeve. I'm planning on making two runs in the conduit. 1 1/2" is more than plenty but I'm just thinking of the future if I choose to run something else from the garage to the com closet. 1 1/4" is a bit tight for two runs.

Are there such a thing that allows a flexible 1 1/2" conduit attach to a 1 1/2" rigid conduit for this 90' angle?
If you are using structured cable, why use conduit at all?
Old 01-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

Conduit Tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by genner View Post
. . . 1 1/2" is more than plenty but I'm just thinking of the future if I choose to run something else from the garage to the com closet. 1 1/4" is a bit tight for two runs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseHelper View Post
If you are using structured cable, why use conduit at all?
I think he wants to to make it easier for future pulls..

I always recommend to run conduit in interior walls as well as go a size larger than you think you need for future use when possible.

That being said, if this is not interior walls, I'd forgo conduit and just run the cables as you need them.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #12

Conduit Tubes

Quote:

I believe that the non metalic flex is the same OD as the PVC. You will have to secure the couplings with someting other than PVC glue though. Tape will work for this installation.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #13
Remodeling Contractor

Conduit Tubes

In any case you still cannot mix the conduit types. This has little to do with what type of wire you are running., Each type of pipe is connected with it's own type of glue. They are not interchangeable.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote