DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Conduit through garage to house. Max wires? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/conduit-through-garage-house-max-wires-49996/)

RyanD 07-31-2009 08:38 AM

Conduit through garage to house. Max wires?
 
So I need to pull a 10awg and two 12awg from the panel to the house. The panel is on one side of the garage and the attached house is on the other so I was thinking of just running some conduit from the panel to the closet and then use a j-box to convert the conduit to NM to do the rest of the run.

Questions:
- Do I have to use metal, I noticed they have plastic too at HD, what's the difference and is one preferred over the other?
- I have 250ft of 12awg NM, can I strip this and use the cable inside to run in the conduit? Is this basically THHN?
- If I have to run two 20 amp(12/2) circuits and one 30 amp(10/3) circuit what size conduit should I use?

wvwirenut 07-31-2009 09:49 AM

where in the house are you taking this run? what's it going to be used for?

RyanD 07-31-2009 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wvwirenut (Post 308950)
where in the house are you taking this run? what's it going to be used for?

One 20 is for a media closet(right next to the garage). The other 20 and the 30 are for the washing machine and utility room. They will all come out of the garage in an under-space(under the inside stairs where there is already a jbox for something else) and split off from there, two running another 15 feet to the utility room and one 4 feet to the media closet area. They will be inside walls or ceilings once they're in the house.

J. V. 07-31-2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanD (Post 308926)
So I need to pull a 10awg and two 12awg from the panel to the house.

If they are cables you need no conduit. If they are individual wires they must be in conduit.

Run the circuits to where ever they are needed. Stay away from existing boxes as you will easily over fill them. Do it all new. New cables, new boxes and new devices.

RyanD 07-31-2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. V. (Post 308978)
If they are cables you need no conduit. If they are individual wires they must be in conduit.

Run the circuits to where ever they are needed. Stay away from existing boxes as you will easily over fill them. Do it all new. New cables, new boxes and new devices.

Yeah but I can't run bare NM on the outside of the garage. Oh, sorry if that was confusing. The wire from the panel to the inside would be on the outside of the garage wall thus the conduit. Once it's inside it will be behind the walls.

wvwirenut 07-31-2009 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanD (Post 308979)
Yeah but I can't run bare NM on the outside of the garage. Oh, sorry if that was confusing. The wire from the panel to the inside would be on the outside of the garage wall thus the conduit. Once it's inside it will be behind the walls.

Is your panel on the outside of the garage or the inside? Why does the wire have to be run on the outside of the garage? Trying to gather more information.

RyanD 07-31-2009 11:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wvwirenut (Post 308992)
Is your panel on the outside of the garage or the inside? Why does the wire have to be run on the outside of the garage? Trying to gather more information.

Sorry, I think I'm explaining it wrong. Here is a picture. :-) Everything is on the inside of the house/garage. I want to run the wires on the outside of the wall in conduit while in the garage(red line) and then go into a jbox to split off into three wires to go in walls once inside the house.(blue is 12awg, green is 10awg)

Scuba_Dave 07-31-2009 01:09 PM

You can run NM in the garage - it must be protected from physical damage
So that is:
--in conduit sized large enough to hold the cables
--in the wall between the studs - already sheetrocked?
--other?

RyanD 07-31-2009 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave (Post 309046)
You can run NM in the garage - it must be protected from physical damage
So that is:
--in conduit sized large enough to hold the cables
--in the wall between the studs - already sheetrocked?
--other?

The garage is already finished thus why I can't(don't want to) run them in the walls. I thought there was some calculation based off the wires in the conduit as to how big it has to be. That and using NM adds to that because of heat.

Scuba_Dave 07-31-2009 01:30 PM

Yes, you need to look up the cable size & base conduit fill based on the cable, not the conductors

Quote:

358.22 Number of Conductors
The number of conductors shall not exceed that permitted by the percentage fill specified in Table 1, Chapter 9.
Cables shall be permitted to be installed where such use is not prohibited by the respective cable articles. The number of cables shall not exceed the allowable percentage fill specified in Table 1, Chapter 9.
14-2 NMB .1018
12-2 NMB .1320
10-2 NMB .1917
8-2 NMB .2942
6-2 NMB .3664
14-3 NMB .0740
12-3 NMB .0946
10-3 NMB .1399
8-3 NMB .2507
6-3 NMB .3318
14-2 UF .1405
12-2 UF .1684
10-2 UF .2107
8-2 UF .3610
6-2 UF .4657
14-3 UF .2651
12-3 UF .3078
10-3 UF .4151
8-3 UF .8808
6-3 UF 1.1747

RyanD 07-31-2009 01:45 PM

So if I understand this and the code correctly I would need at least an 1 1/4" conduit to run 10/3 and 2x12/2 NM cables in it.

J. V. 08-02-2009 12:19 PM

Using conduit on the outside is your choice. I would do everything in my power to keep the cables inside. Do you not have an attic? Basement? Crawl Space? Do you not have room above in the garage to run the cables and then drop them down into the walls? Think about this. I bet you can do it.

Another thing. NM cables cannot be used in conduit outside. It's considered a wet location and therefore a code violation.

RyanD 08-02-2009 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. V. (Post 309685)
Using conduit on the outside is your choice. I would do everything in my power to keep the cables inside. Do you not have an attic? Basement? Crawl Space? Do you not have room above in the garage to run the cables and then drop them down into the walls? Think about this. I bet you can do it.

Another thing. NM cables cannot be used in conduit outside. It's considered a wet location and therefore a code violation.

It's a split level, the garage is under the upstairs bedrooms and the garage is finished so it would be hard to run the cables in the walls.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved