DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Conduit or staples (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/conduit-staples-21536/)

thequickness 05-27-2008 07:37 PM

Conduit or staples
 
My panel is on the first floor and we gutted the 2nd floor. We're going to ru n the wire straight up thru the 2nd floor exterior wall to the attic then back down the 2nd floor walls.

The question is: are stapling the wire to the studs fine, or should i run conduit?

darren 05-27-2008 07:42 PM

If I was doing this in my house I would be tempted to run pipe to a junction box in the attic and then in the future if i needed to add something it would be easly done.

If you are novice to electrical work I would run wire up the walls, when you staple them keep them close to the centre as possible. There is a measurment to how far back you have to staple but i don't know it off the top of my head.

I would also take advantage of multiwire circuits, that is running a 3 wire up the wall to get two circuits instead of running 2 seperate wires for those two circuits.

Darren

chris75 05-27-2008 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thequickness (Post 126218)
My panel is on the first floor and we gutted the 2nd floor. We're going to ru n the wire straight up thru the 2nd floor exterior wall to the attic then back down the 2nd floor walls.

The question is: are stapling the wire to the studs fine, or should i run conduit?


What wire are you running? A feeder for a new panel? New Branch circuits for the 2nd floor?

Either case IMO, I would just staple the wire(s) to the studs, especially if your running branch circuits.

Super33 05-27-2008 08:28 PM

I would do the whole house in pipe. But that's just me in chicago.:whistling2:

thequickness 05-27-2008 08:46 PM

It's a branch that feeds 3 bed rooms, 1 bath room and a hallway.

Im just thinking maybe conduit would allow for futuer expansion a little better

Termite 05-27-2008 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super33 (Post 126230)
I would do the whole house in pipe. But that's just me in chicago.:whistling2:

Super33 means that Chicago doesn't allow the use of NM wire (romex). They have to run everything in conduit in one form or another.

Unless your local jurisdiction has a similar strange requirement, I wouldn't advocate running it in conduit. Stapling to the studs is just fine, provided you follow the code requirements for securing the wire.

The idea of adding a pipe from the panel area to the attic for future wire-pulling needs is a good one. This is very common, and can be done for very little expense. Just leave it empty until you need it.

wireless 05-28-2008 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darren (Post 126219)
If I was doing this in my house I would be tempted to run pipe to a junction box in the attic and then in the future if i needed to add something it would be easly done.

If you are novice to electrical work I would run wire up the walls, when you staple them keep them close to the centre as possible. There is a measurment to how far back you have to staple but i don't know it off the top of my head.

I would also take advantage of multiwire circuits, that is running a 3 wire up the wall to get two circuits instead of running 2 seperate wires for those two circuits.

Darren

Keep in mind single pole AFCI breakers will not work on a three wire circuit.

CowboyAndy 05-28-2008 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wireless (Post 126283)
Keep in mind single pole AFCI breakers will not work on a three wire circuit.

No, but they do sell dbl pole afci breakers.


to the OP: I would run your new circuits (1 for bath, 1 for lighting, 1 for 2 bedrooms, 1 for last bedroom and hallway) with romex, but while you have the oppertunity, put in a pipe specificly for future expansion. If you dont have it already, I would also wire for hard wired smokes.

thequickness 05-28-2008 08:37 AM

oops forgot about the smokey circuit.

so ya thats a good idea, run the pipe leave it empty. cuz all the walls are completly gutted.

one more question, the roof is held up by solid 20' 2x10's, can i drill thru them or does the wire need to attached to the end of the 2x?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved