Conduit/Shared Junction Box Questions - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Conduit/Shared Junction Box Questions

I appreciate all the help on this forum you guys (and gals) are great.

I am in the middle of a small/medium size wiring project at my house. I have a permit and have intermediate knowledge of electrical. I did have a couple questions just to make sure I am right. We are on the 2008 NEC here (East Central IL)

1. If two ciruits are in a junction, switch or outlet box, do the circuits have to be handle tied/dual poled breakers. these are NOT multiwire circuits and they dont serve the same devices (ie 2 receptacle box, 1 served by circuit A and 1 served by circuit B). I assume all I have to do is tie to grounds together? Should I note on the panel or somewhere that multiple circuits are in the box?

2. I am pulling 4 circuits in a 3/4 inch sch 40 conduit. I know that means pulling 4 black wires and 4 white wires. Do I pull 4 ground wires through the common pull area or just one. All wire is 12 ga.

3. There is an area of the conduit run through a finished ciling where it will be unsupported for 10 feet. It cant be supported whout ripping up the ceiling - is this acceptable. if not, is there a type of conduit that can be run like this?

Thanks so much!

Advertisement

johnsond255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsond255 View Post

1. If two ciruits are in a junction, switch or outlet box, do the circuits have to be handle tied/dual poled breakers. these are NOT multiwire circuits and they dont serve the same devices (ie 2 receptacle box, 1 served by circuit A and 1 served by circuit B).
Handle tie not needed.

Quote:
I assume all I have to do is tie to grounds together?
Correct.

Quote:
Should I note on the panel or somewhere that multiple circuits are in the box?
Not required.

Quote:
2. I am pulling 4 circuits in a 3/4 inch sch 40 conduit. I know that means pulling 4 black wires and 4 white wires. Do I pull 4 ground wires through the common pull area or just one. All wire is 12 ga.
1 #12 EGC or ground is sufficient.

Quote:
3. There is an area of the conduit run through a finished ciling where it will be unsupported for 10 feet. It cant be supported whout ripping up the ceiling - is this acceptable. if not, is there a type of conduit that can be run like this?
For concealed work in finished buildings
or prefinished wall panels where such securing is impracticable,
unbroken lengths (without coupling) of conduit shall
be permitted to be fished.

Advertisement

Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Code05 For This Useful Post:
johnsond255 (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Code05 you are awesome! I think it took you less time to provide the answers than the time it took me to correcly forumalte the questions
johnsond255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsond255 View Post
Code05 you are awesome! I think it took you less time to provide the answers than the time it took me to correcly forumalte the questions
It is easy to answer questions that are clear and well presented with correct info.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

a related question re: multiple circuits in a conduit. i am a bit unclear about what exception 4 of 310.15 means about derating conductors. i know exception 5 says grounds dont count. but 4 is written differently. does this mean neutrals only dont count if they are part of a MWBC?

(4) (a) a neutral conductor that carries only the unbalanced current from other conductors of the same circuit shall not be required to be counted when applying the provisions of 310.15(B)(2)(a)

(5) a grounding or bonding conductor shall not be counted when applying the provisions of 310.15(B)(2)(a)
kevinp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 724

Yes, but they have to be only for the MWBC and not also used for other circuits. This is one of the drawbacks of conduit. Neutral integrity can get confused with multiple neutrals in a single pipe.

Advertisement

curiousB is online now   Reply With Quote