Is Conduit Required? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2010, 05:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is conduit required?

The previous owner moved the dryer outlet from inside the house to inside the garage. Original wiring is AL. The previous owner added a junction box in the attic at the end of the conduit for the AL wire from the breaker box and spliced CU wire and ran it without conduit to the garage and down the outside of the interior garage wall to an outlet box mounted on the wall. Despite my using AL to CU wire nuts it just failed (burned up) for the second time. I want to pull out all of the wire (only the line for the dryer) and make a one piece run of CU from the breaker box to the outlet in the garage. Rather than pull the siding off of the back of the house in order to get to the breaker box I plan to use the existing conduit and pull my 10-3 w/ G through the conduit from the breaker box up into the attic. From there I am hoping that I can run 10-3 NM w/ G into the garage without conduit. Is that allowed? Are there any suggestions as to a better way to do this? Thanks.

Advertisement

VFR Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,272

Is conduit required?

Your location is needed---codes requiring conduit or not vary by location.--Mike---

Advertisement

oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #3

Is conduit required?

The house is in San Jose, CA.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

Is conduit required?

I'm not aware of any special requirements there.

If the conduit doesn't already end in a box I'd put a box there so you can bond the ground to it at that end, and a proper romex clamp for the transistion to romex. I'm not sure if this is required (as long as the conduit is grounded somewhere) but that's the way I'd do it.
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,272

Is conduit required?

One of the sparkys will know your codes---I believe you are O.K. with romex,However I live in a conduit only area,so I am not the one to answer---Mike---
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:18 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

Is conduit required?

I would use conduit because it will protect the 10/3 from physical damage being fastened to the surface of the wall and I believe using conduit makes the work look neat and professional.
Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #7

Is conduit required?

I agree that the conduit looks good and holds up, I'd could see using it for the part not in the attic but was advised by an electrician that due to sweating and moisture issues that the NM wire couldn't be run in conduit. Presently half the run, the AL part is in conduit, the CU half, half of which is exposed in the garage, is not in conduit. I'd like to use the present conduit just to get into the breaker box otherwise I will need to remove siding. At the moment I'm planning to use at least a couple of feet of the existing conduit and plain NM the rest. Still taking suggestions. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:36 PM   #8

Is conduit required?

I've never heard of the "sweating and moisture" issue. Maybe some of the other guys that use this site can shed some light on this.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:00 AM   #9

Is conduit required?

I was a bit puzzled when he first said it.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:14 AM   #10

Is conduit required?

I'm thinking that electricity running thru a cold wire might cause some condensation, but how is that any different than a cold wire in a wall cavity with power running thru it?
Old 12-06-2010, 12:23 AM   #11
DIYer

Is conduit required?

The only real issue with running NM in conduit is that you are supposed to take the widest dimension of it and treat it as if it's a circular cable of that dimension for conduit fill purposes. But that doesn't apply to a "short sleeve" of conduit that you are just using for protection purposes.

Does the conduit run on the outside of your house? It's not entirely clear from your description. If it goes outside you need to use UF and not NM.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:47 AM   #12

Is conduit required?

No, everything is interior. Most of the run is in the attic and then it comes through the wall about nine or ten feet up in the garage overhead, and down the wall to the outlet box. It is a closed garage.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:52 AM   #13
Scared Electrician

Is conduit required?

I believe this "sweating" conundrum stems from the fact that if a conduit is run in a wet location(outside) the interior of the conduit is a wet location.(this was always a requirment although revised in 08 code to make it more clear. )

Romex(NM) is not rated for wet locations.

Thus it is perfectly ok to run romex in conduit for purposes of protection, ease of replacing wire or just because you like it, as long as it never passes in to or thru a wet location.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #14

Is conduit required?

Thanks. So far it looks like what I will do is run armored 8-3 from the garage to where the existing conduit is and run the 8-3 through the conduit after I have stripped the armor from that section. There is a tool for removing armor easily, that should give me the best of both. We'll see.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #15
DIYer

Is conduit required?

You probably shouldn't do that. The individual conductors in an assembly like that don't carry a rating once you remove them from the cable.

Advertisement