Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
Limited Experience

Share |

Conduit question.

I need to run a few new dedicated outlets. The best path from the breaker box to the areas start with the space behind a basement wall. There's a 3" air gap between the blocks and studs. Currently the wire for the outlets on this wall is in this space. Space is totally dry.

My question is: Is it OK to use a 2" or 2 1/2" PCV electrical conduit in this space from the breaker box to the end of this wall where things split out for 4 NM 12/2wg wire runs? 20 amp breakers on each. I'd sure rather do this than take down all the paneling and staple it to the back of the studs.

Not in Chicago.

raleighthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Conduit question.

If you fish the wire behind an existing wall service is does not have to be stapled. Nor do you need the conduit.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
Limited Experience

Conduit question.

Box is face high. End of where I'd want the conduit is at top of the wall. Distance is about 10' to 11'. So I'd think I'd want to support it some way or another. PVC conduit seems cheap and easy.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #4

Conduit question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighthings View Post
Box is face high. End of where I'd want the conduit is at top of the wall. Distance is about 10' to 11'. So I'd think I'd want to support it some way or another. PVC conduit seems cheap and easy.
Can you describe again the route your circuits will take (in three dimensional space).

Putting NM in conduit is a grey area. People seem to agree that you can do so if the conduit is a short run (consensus seems to be one 10' segment max) and only for physical protection, but in general if you're using conduit it should be box-to-box and using individual wires, not a cable. To answer your next question, no you can't just strip off the insulation since the wires are not individually marked with their ratings.

Matt
gatorheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

Conduit question.

How do you plan to support the conduit sleeve behind the wall?
Old 10-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
Limited Experience

Conduit question.

That wasn't my next question. That I'd NOT do.

Panel is at corner of basement. Basement at that point is open to outside with walk out doors. Meter is on outside wall. Panel is on other wall hard against corner. I want to run the NM from the panel to various points. Common path is along wall with panel. This wall is the one where there are no windows. Paneling is nailed to 2x3's. There's a 3" air gap between 2x3's and block wall. Bottom of panel is about 5' off the floor. At the end of this space where I want to start the wires going in various directions I am 7 1/2 off the floor due to concrete block being used to support the second floor.

My goal is to use the conduit as a support for the cable for this 12' run. I can put a 22.5 degree elbow at each end to change the direction to horizontal and give me the distance with a single 10' straight section.

It seems to me that letting it sag over about 12 ft would be a bad idea and against code. And running it along the floor then back up a waste of a lot of cable and maybe against code.

I'm looking to avoid stapling from the rear of the studs for 4 NM 12/2wg cables. And I can use a 2.5" conduit to make sure I have plenty of space.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
Limited Experience

Conduit question.

Also, the biggest reason for using this space is the only other choice is to go into the ceiling which is for a decent sized family room and heavily textured. Repairing the ceiling if I dig into it will cost 2 arms and 3 legs.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #8

Conduit question.

Quote:
That wasn't my next question. That I'd NOT do.
Actually, the wire in NM is often the same as in THHN. The reason you can't strip the insulation isn't because it's unsafe, it's because an inspector couldn't look at the wire an confirm that it meets code (not that they do anyway).

Quote:
Panel is at corner of basement. Basement at that point is open to outside with walk out doors. Meter is on outside wall. Panel is on other wall hard against corner. I want to run the NM from the panel to various points. Common path is along wall with panel. This wall is the one where there are no windows. Paneling is nailed to 2x3's. There's a 3" air gap between 2x3's and block wall. Bottom of panel is about 5' off the floor. At the end of this space where I want to start the wires going in various directions I am 7 1/2 off the floor due to concrete block being used to support the second floor.

My goal is to use the conduit as a support for the cable for this 12' run. I can put a 22.5 degree elbow at each end to change the direction to horizontal and give me the distance with a single 10' straight section.

It seems to me that letting it sag over about 12 ft would be a bad idea and against code. And running it along the floor then back up a waste of a lot of cable and maybe against code.

I'm looking to avoid stapling from the rear of the studs for 4 NM 12/2wg cables. And I can use a 2.5" conduit to make sure I have plenty of space.
I'm still having trouble visualizing it from your description. Any chance you can sketch it out? I'm sure I'm not alone in my confusion. The only way I can make sense of it is if your furring is run horizontally-- is it? Or were you planning to run the conduit outside your paneling?

Matt
gatorheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #9
Electrical Contractor

Conduit question.

If the cables come out of the panel, then into the sleeve, I don't see a problem.
Like Jim asked, how are you going to support the conduit?
Old 10-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #10
Limited Experience

Conduit question.

See attached. The less than 12" should be less than 12'.

I need all the runs to go from the panel to over the joist support then fan out from there. Studs are vertical.

Attach conduit to studs via clamps at each end. I can handle the hassle of that. Even if I have to drill bolt holes from the front.

A 22.5 degree elbow at each end would get me almost exactly horizontal in the entry and exit. And I could use the plywood behind the panel and studs above the joist to staple down the cable on entry and exit from the conduit.

If I do this just how many runs of NM 12/2 w/g would be allowed in a 2.5" conduit?
Attached Thumbnails
Conduit question.-conduitwall.jpg