Conduit Inside Drywall Drop Ceiling - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 732

Conduit inside drywall drop ceiling

I live in IL and EMT conduit is mandatory here. I need to run some new circuits from my garage to the panel located in my basement.

The basement is finished now with a drywall skinned suspended ceiling. It is very similar to a suspended tile ceiling except drywall sheets are screwed into the T bars and taped and sanded like normal drywall. ( http://products.construction.com/swt...215/446846.pdf )

Anyway I have 12"-18" of clearance in this area to run the needed conduit but it will be difficult to fasten it down. Also the last 3-4 feet to the panel would be a lot easier if I could transition from EMT to Flex conduit. The run will be 30-40 feet in this cavity.

I was planning on using 3/4" EMT just because I never want to do this again (so some room to fish more wires later).

My questions:

1) It is going to be difficult to fasten the conduit every 18-24". Is there anything wrong with having the conduit just rest on the top side of the T track structure and fasten it where I have access to is (at one end and every couple of pot light holes to get get access through.
2) Is is kosher to go from EMT to Steel Flex (not AC or MC) for 3' - 4' to snake through the 90 turns to the panel? Again fastening the flex will be limited but I have good access nearest to the panel for a couple tie downs.
3) Will the Flex satisfy the ground requirements like EMT does or will I have to run a ground line inside the flex?

Advertisement

curiousB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

The conduit has to be fastened to something. I am sure the flexible conduit is acceptable but I would check with the inspector.

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

Around here, you wouldn't be required to fasten conduit if it was fished in.

If you use flex, you will need to pull a ground thru the conduit. I would not suggest this as it will be hard to push a fishtape [or wire] thru the conduit.
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
Around here, you wouldn't be required to fasten conduit if it was fished in.

If you use flex, you will need to pull a ground thru the conduit. I would not suggest this as it will be hard to push a fishtape [or wire] thru the conduit.
I use flex on a daily basis and your 100 percent right, if it's not supported very well with very little slack it's next to impossible to pull through. From the sounds of things you won't be able to get it supported well enough to make life easier.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

There are "clips" which fasten to the grid and the conduit, I believe they are called Caddy clamps, made by a company named Caddy. They work well and keep the conduit in line over the grid. You can unstall them without tools and probably reach through the pot light holes to attach them.CADDY® Adjustable Box And Conduit Support (DFN)

Last edited by Missouri Bound; 05-10-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

EMT is required to be fastened every 10 feet. I don't know who told you that it needed to be fastened every 18-24"

I would not worry if you fish in a longer length as long as you fasten it where you can get to it.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #7
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
EMT is required to be fastened every 10 feet. I don't know who told you that it needed to be fastened every 18-24"

I would not worry if you fish in a longer length as long as you fasten it where you can get to it.
good catch . We also have what we call a mustache clip that hooks on the pencil rod for the ceiling, but in a dropped ceiling it may be easier just to one hole strap it to the bottom of the joist.

on a side note 1/2" and 3/4" need to be fastened every 5 feet north of the border, everything else is ten up here.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

Quote:
mustache clip
=batwing

Advertisement

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote