Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Conduit fill

Hey guys! How is everyone? I'm trying to understand something here. Today all we did was pull THHN through conduits. So out of curiosity(I never thought about it before today) I asked the guy that I was working with "How many wires can we fit in a one inch pipe", and he simply replied "22". So my next question was "wouldn't that change depending on the size of the wire? He couldn't answer me, so now I'm here asking you guys. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks guys!!

Sunny B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 518

Conduit fill

Wow I hope he is not the one in charge, common sense would tell you if you havebigger wires you will fit less wires in there. Pipe will change for the size of wire and also different insulations have different pipe fill. In Canada we can put 19 #12R90 in a 1", if you use T90 you can get 25 or 26 #12 in a pipe.

You should get a copy of the code book and check out the answer for yourself.

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Conduit fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren
Wow I hope he is not the one in charge, common sense would tell you if you havebigger wires you will fit less wires in there. Pipe will change for the size of wire and also different insulations have different pipe fill. In Canada we can put 19 #12R90 in a 1", if you use T90 you can get 25 or 26 #12 in a pipe.

You should get a copy of the code book and check out the answer for yourself.
Where do I find it in the code?
Sunny B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,120

Conduit fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny B. View Post
Where do I find it in the code?
Annex C.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
Electrician

Rewards Points: 518

Conduit fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
Annex C.
Don't give him the answer, he has to learn how to use the code book.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darren For This Useful Post:
SD515 (10-25-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 10:52 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,938

Conduit fill

You also need to read about derating. When you get over a certain number of wires in a conduit they can't carry their normal mount of current.
SD515 (10-25-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 11:27 PM   #7
liscenced electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Conduit fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny B. View Post
Hey guys! How is everyone? I'm trying to understand something here. Today all we did was pull THHN through conduits. So out of curiosity(I never thought about it before today) I asked the guy that I was working with "How many wires can we fit in a one inch pipe", and he simply replied "22". So my next question was "wouldn't that change depending on the size of the wire? He couldn't answer me, so now I'm here asking you guys. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks guys!!
Not just the size of the wires, but the conduit as well. schedule 40 pvc and schedule 80 pvc have the same outside diameter. Since schedule 80 is thicker logic will tell you that the inside diameter is smaller. Smaller pipe means less wire
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:20 AM   #8
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,462

Conduit fill

22? That # does not even show up in any of the tables that I have.

I know a lot of electricians who do contol systems are used to using mostly 14 AWG...but in a 1" conduit....I believe the max is somewhere around 39 wires....give or take a few.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:05 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 252

Conduit fill

there three factors,wire size,insulation type and are you mixing wire gauge and or insulation.the tables tell you.like what was said learn to read code book.
oleguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #10
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Conduit fill

This is what I suggest to my workers….

Your training is your own responsibility. I am more apt to help you if you’ve helped yourself by looking through the code book first. Yes, there are times when we are working along and questions come up about the install that get answered briefly and we move on. But that doesn’t exempt the fact that you should look it up yourself. How do you know I’m right or wrong? I make mistakes too. Let’s discuss how your interpretation versus mine.

Take some of your lunch hour, an hour or 2 after dinner, on the weekend, whatever…sit down with the code book and review what you did that day, that week.

Maybe you worked with EMT all week…read Article 358. What applied to your install? What didn’t? What other articles come into play? What if you had to transition to a different wiring method? When you get ready to pull wire, how are you going to know how many you can put in each tube? What size do they need to be? Are you going to have to de-rate? Do you need more runs? What is the box fill(s) going to be?

Take it a little at a time. Don’t try to learn everything at once, but try to learn some every time. Most important, learn where to find it. Look over and read the index in the back. Learn the terminology the code uses versus the terminology you hear on the job site.

Hope this helps.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:22 AM   #11
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Conduit fill

I think you should get a copy of Code Check Electrical to use along with the code book. It is broken down into 28 sections and has references to the NEC articles and tables. You could use it as a study guide and pick one section and study it.

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote