DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Conduit, above ground, code question

16K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  davewest 
#1 ·
Running permanent power to the garage: can I run my wire through a conduit above ground? The conduit is already laid, running under our deck and against the side of the house. I ran power through it as a temporary setup, but now I want to do it right and up to code. Part of the pipe also runs under a 4 foot stretch of concrete between the house and the garage, so its only buried 4" at most. The rest of the pipe runs above ground, under the deck.

Will I be ok?

#2 ·
How high above ground is the deck? What is the voltage in the conduit? Does this circuit have GFI protection at the panel? What type of conduit is installed?

#3 ·
Thanks for checking into this:

The deck is about 2ft off the ground. The voltage will be 240 when i run the new line, its currently 120. Circuit is not gfi protected at the panel. Conduit is a 1" pvc.

Again, I ran the pvc myself when i first ran power out there, so its never passed inspection, or needed to pass i should say.

#4 ·
Dave, from your descriptions you are fine. NO GFI protection is required until you get to receptacles.
As long as the conduit is out of harms way it does not matter what it is

I assume you are running to a sub-panel.
Is the garage detached from the house?

#5 ·
Dave, from your descriptions you are fine. NO GFI protection is required until you get to receptacles.
As long as the conduit is out of harms way it does not matter what it is

I assume you are running to a sub-panel.
Is the garage detached from the house?

Yes, the garage is detached and I will be putting in a new subpanel when i run the new service. What type of gfi protection will i need? Just the receptacles?

I thought about using a 60amp gfi breaker at the main to protect the whole garage, but the breakers are a bit pricey.

Thanks

#6 ·
Yes, all accessible 120v 15 & 20 amp receptacles require GFI protection.

I would NOT protect the whole panel. I would just use GFI devices at the beginning of each receptacle circuit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.