Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2009, 02:40 PM   #1

Share |

Condensation in overhead light JB

Back in October i replaced an overhead light in a bathroom. The old light fixture had a built in junction box that was obviously removed with the fixture. So in turn i installed one of those JBs that have an extended bracket and attaches to the studs and then you can hang a light from it. I centered the box in the ceiling opening, spliced all my connections and hung a dome style light. Now this morning, i pulled the light due to some issues and come to find that the inside of the plastic JB had droplets of condensation. Not enough to drip through the insulation on the light, but way more then i want to see in a JB.
I checked all around the box, wires (outside of box), insulation in crawl space around JB and no moisture. The only moisture is inside the JB and no where else. Now i know that the last person to take a shower this morning did not use the fan and heated up the bathroom with the shower steam.
I am curious if anyone has ran into this type of an issue before or if anyone has any type of suggestion for me? I need that JB to mount the light, but could possibly take another JB for all the splices and move it out of the hole in the ceiling and just run the wires to the light JB. But there will still be atleast to connections within the light JB.

I apologize if this is hard to understand, but i appreciate any and all suggestions that you may feel would be helpful.

Toyz is offline   Reply With Quote