Concerned About Hooking Up Main Power - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Concerned about hooking up main power

We are a bit concerned. We have replaced most of the ancient breakers, and all of the receptacles and light switches. We have hooked up a generator, and fed power through the entire house with no issue. However, that generator is 100 volts. When the power company comes out, there will be 200 volts shot through the wiring. We are a bit concerned that that much power may cause a spark if something is wrong. If we turn all of the breakers off before flipping on the main and open the lines one at a time, would it be safer than flipping on the main with all lines open? Or does it not matter? If there is a problem id like to catch it when it shows itself, before it burns my house down

Advertisement

firsttimeremode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

I am so confused

Advertisement

ItsaSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ItsaSpider For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (09-20-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #3

what are you confused about? Its a mobile home, been sitting empty for a while, and i dont want to die. just looking for the safest way to do this
Old 09-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,162

Safest was to do WHAT???

I also have NO Idea what you are talking about. Sorry.

100V? 200V? HUH???
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (09-20-2012), ItsaSpider (09-20-2012), jbfan (09-20-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,908

Only making a guess here but maybe the OP is concerned that they had a 100 amp service and the service was upgraded to 200 amps? I cannot imagine why a mobile home would need that much power available. My other thought is the generator was 120 only and the utility will be providing 240.

To the OP, there needs to be an interlock or a transfer switch if you are going to have a generator supply power in the event of an outage.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #6

I think I got it. He is calling 120V 100 volts and he is calling 240V 200 volts.

He is saying that he has tried out the electric in his trailer by hooking up a generator and it has worked fine, but he is scared when the power company hooks up the service to the grid (120/240V) that something bad will happen.

My first question is how did he connect the generator to "try it out"? Did he connect it to each leg individually? Or just one?

I think it may be best for him to get it looked at.

To answer the last question, if you have many problems in the house it will be safer to turn on the main and then each branch circuit individually. Make sure that the breakfront is on the panel, you wear long sleeves (cotton), and you stand to the side of the panel instead of directly in front of it.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 790

As a general rule I ALWAYS turn the main back on after shutting down all the branch breakers. Then turn on each branch one at a time. Less surge and if there is an issue you will know instantly which circuit is the culpret. As far as your worry about the electic utility being too strong, not an issue.
PoleCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #8

ItsaSpider, that is EXACTLY what i meant. i am afraid that once they hook up more power that it will spark. I figured it would be safer to open the lines one at a time rather than all at once, i just wanted to make sure. electricity scares the hell out of me, and i cant afford to have it looked at, otherwise that would already be done
Old 09-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #9

i connected the generator to the main. it supplied power to the entire house.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:21 AM   #10
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeremode View Post
ItsaSpider, that is EXACTLY what i meant. i am afraid that once they hook up more power that it will spark. I figured it would be safer to open the lines one at a time rather than all at once, i just wanted to make sure. electricity scares the hell out of me, and i cant afford to have it looked at, otherwise that would already be done
Quote:
i connected the generator to the main. it supplied power to the entire house.
I have one question here .,, was the POCO supply is complety disconnected when you did the hook up the generatour to the main breaker or have a extra breaker for this one ??

Really in fact all the other readers pretty much hit the nail there you need a interlock or a transfer switch set up.

Merci,
Marc
Old 09-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #11

I get the impression that the generator is not a permenent fixture. How did you power the whole trailer at one time? 120V generator - 240V panel.....
Old 09-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #12

its not a 240V panel. Its a 100-amp main, the generator puts out exactly 100 amps or volts or whatever you want to call it. its not permanent, it is one we keep around for power outages. We just hooked up a cord from the generator to the main breaker, so that it would act like the generator was the power pole box, and powered up the entire trailer. The problem is that when TXU comes out and hooks up the power line to my trailer, it will put double the power into the lines and im afraid something may spark and set fire to the house. All it will take is two bare wires touching without us knowing it.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #13

Quote:
its not a 240V panel. Its a 100-amp main, the generator puts out exactly 100 amps or volts or whatever you want to call it.
Honestly, if you are not willing to learn these things then you really shouldn't be playing with it. If you can't afford an electrician then wait until you can. Loss of life or medical treatment for electrical shock or burns will cost you a LOT more.
The Following User Says Thank You to ItsaSpider For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (09-21-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #14

Well I can't say I have ever scrutinized the electric on a mobile home so I suppose it may only be wired for 120V. If this is the case the utility company will hook you up accordingly and that will be @ the same 120V your generator supplied. There is no more force coming from their supply than your generator. The trouble is that you may accidentally kill someone if you connect your generator to the mains during an outage once you are connected to the utility. Of lesser concern you could burn up your generator and your mobile home.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #15

the only time i have outages is during storms and i wont stay in the trailer during a storm. I will go to my sister's house that is tied down and wait out the storm on her couch. besides, the generator would be hooked up to my parents' trailer during an outage anyway.
ItsaSpider: i dont mess with the electric. The only thing i did myself was replace a few receptacles and switches. My mom and dad were the ones working with the breakers, because they know what they are doing. THats why most of my questions about electric pertained to the connections, not the main. And i didnt even mess with the connections unless my parents were there, so that if i did something wrong they could stop me and show me how to do it right. THe only reason i know anything about the voltage is from what they told me. and that is also the reason im here asking about this, is so that my house doesnt get burned down, and nobody gets hurt when we turn on the main breaker after they hook up the power line.

Advertisement