Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2011, 08:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Compressor Motor

Hi to everyone here.

I have an electrical rookie problem in hopes that I'll get my solution from some of you guys.

I'm trying to hook up a motor for a compressor and want to know if it's possible to do so at 120V. The info for the motor:

Magnetek Century AC Mtr
Cat#323
Volts 230-208/115
RPM 1725
HP 3/4

This is a decent sized compressor with a 30 gal tank. It was hooked up in an industrial warehouse but I was curious if can be hooked up at 120V.

The schematic on the motor terminal box shows a hook-up for a high and low voltage hook-up. Is the low good for 120V? It would be ideal to be able to wire an SO cord into it and plug it in to a regular receptacle.

If I connect the terminals (accordingly) I should be able to turn it into a 120V hook up right? Making one of the leads a neut and the other the hot?

Any help at all is much appreciated.

Ropegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,936

Compressor Motor

The 230-208/115 would indicate that it can be wired for 120 volts.
110 115 120 all the same voltage.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,008

Compressor Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropegun View Post
Hi to everyone here.

I have an electrical rookie problem in hopes that I'll get my solution from some of you guys.

I'm trying to hook up a motor for a compressor and want to know if it's possible to do so at 120V. The info for the motor:

Magnetek Century AC Mtr
Cat#323
Volts 230-208/115
RPM 1725
HP 3/4

This is a decent sized compressor with a 30 gal tank. It was hooked up in an industrial warehouse but I was curious if can be hooked up at 120V.

The schematic on the motor terminal box shows a hook-up for a high and low voltage hook-up. Is the low good for 120V? It would be ideal to be able to wire an SO cord into it and plug it in to a regular receptacle.

If I connect the terminals (accordingly) I should be able to turn it into a 120V hook up right? Making one of the leads a neut and the other the hot?

Any help at all is much appreciated.
120 volts is fine for this motor. But it will draw significant current (amps). The NEC allows up to a 30 amp breaker for this motor. You can try a 20 amp circuit and see first.
This 3/4 Hp motor at 120 volts draws 13 amps. But the motor will draw many times this amount of current at start up.

The NEC calculation for this motor is 13 x 2.50 = 32.5 amps. This indicates you may need a 30 amp circuit to accommodate the starting current.

Try plugging it into a 20 amp circuit first and see if it starts, runs and cycles.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #4

Compressor Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
120 volts is fine for this motor. But it will draw significant current (amps). The NEC allows up to a 30 amp breaker for this motor. You can try a 20 amp circuit and see first.
This 3/4 Hp motor at 120 volts draws 13 amps. But the motor will draw many times this amount of current at start up.

The NEC calculation for this motor is 13 x 2.50 = 32.5 amps. This indicates you may need a 30 amp circuit to accommodate the starting current.

Try plugging it into a 20 amp circuit first and see if it starts, runs and cycles.
Thanks for the reply. Any hints on how to hook-up the terminals. There are 6 and if I remember correctly #2 and #3 are not used. Terminal #1 has a yell w/blk stripes, #4 is red, #5 is brn & org, and #6 has blk and yell. Terminals #1 & #2 are line's. Would you or anyone else out there happen to know the correct configuration for a 120V hook-up? This is the 'low' voltage hook-up according to the schematic that has both a 'low' & a 'high' voltage hook-up, but I'm just confused if the 'low' they mean isn't the 208 and not the 120. I'm assuming the 'high' voltage hook-up is for 230.

-Thanks again.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,230

Compressor Motor

Low voltage hook up is 120 volt.
High voltage would be 208/240 volt.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #6

Compressor Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Low voltage hook up is 120 volt.
High voltage would be 208/240 volt.
Much appreciated! -so then (without beating a dead horse to...well, death) I guess it doesn't matter which lead I make a neutral as long as it is followed through all the way to panel that way...right?

Last edited by Ropegun; 01-21-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,008

Compressor Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropegun View Post
Much appreciated! -so then (without beating a dead horse to...well, death) I guess it doesn't matter which lead I make a neutral as long as it is followed through all the way to panel that way...right?
Thats right. Don't forget the ground wire. H-N-G. I would use a dedicated circuit.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #8

Compressor Motor

Thanks a bunch for the help.