Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Commercial Electric vs. Halo recessed lights

Is there any appreciable difference between Commercial Electric and Halo branded cans?

FWIW, I'm planning install (12) recessed lights, 8 in my living room and 4 in a hallway. I've decided to go with 5" IC remodel housing from Halo. I bought dimmable LED trim kits for the living room and baffles for the hallway.

The living room is 14'x15'. We have a ceiling fan in the center of the living room, it takes 2 candelabra bulbs and is just too dim. I'm planning to install 3 rows of 3 lights where the center row uses only 2 lights (and 3rd being the ceiling fan). I plan to have the ceiling fan light remain on it's own, the "front" two rows (5 cans) will be on one dimmer and the "rear" row (3 cans) will be on another dimmer. We tend to like to keep the light lower at the TV and higher behind us, so this should be an ideal layout. The LED kits I bought are awfully bright, I think they might end up washing out the room, but where it's on a dimmer I'm betting it will be OK. I've put up pieces of green tape in the location of the lights so we can used to idea. At the moment I'm think it might be a bit of overkill by a bit, but then again, if we wanted to read in here there is not really enough light and the room isn't laid out for lamps.

The hallway is L shaped, the longer leg is 13' and the other is about 8'. We currently just have one light at the end of the long part, the short part is almost completely dark, so I'm looking forward to brightening it up. I plan to have the long leg one 3-way switch and the short leg on another 3-way switch--the idea being that you can turn both sets on from the crotch of the L or either leg from the extreme end. The reason to break it up is that there are 2 bedrooms at the short end, so I want to be able to keep those off but light the rest of the hallway.

Any hints for installation, etc? I've already bought the cans, trim rings, old work boxes, switches, 14/2 and 14/3... the only thing I forgot was the hole saw which I'll pick up soon... I have access to 3-4 of the lights from the knee wall attic (and the joist bays to run the wires for the rest). We've got strapping between the plaster ceiling and joists so it's straight forward to run between joist bays. I've got a straight shot thru a partition wall from the attic to the unfinished basement, so the wiring should be straight forward. All of these, plus the living room light/fan are going on a new 15A circuit.

Last edited by bubbler; 10-12-2011 at 08:29 PM.
bubbler is offline   Reply With Quote