Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Commercial Electric Pot Lights in Insulated Basement Ceiling

Hello Group,

I am installed Commercial Electric Pot Lights from the Home Depot into my basement ceiling. I am insulating the ceiling - so they need to be installed into a ceiling box. I am confirmed with a few different sales associates that I have purchased the right parts - but what they can't tell me is how to make the fixture fit into the ceiling box in order for it to be low enough to attach the lighting gimble.

If I just push the clips into place - they pull the lighting fixture all the way in flush with the box - which is too high to attach the gimble to.

I am sure it is just something I am not doing correctly - but since I have 15 to do - I want to make sure this looks decent.
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Electric Pot Lights in Insulated Basement Ceiling-img_0447.jpg   Commercial Electric Pot Lights in Insulated Basement Ceiling-img_0448.jpg   Commercial Electric Pot Lights in Insulated Basement Ceiling-img_0449.jpg   Commercial Electric Pot Lights in Insulated Basement Ceiling-img_0451.jpg   Commercial Electric Pot Lights in Insulated Basement Ceiling-img_0452.jpg  

balithecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
CodeEnforcer

From what I see from your pictures you have a drop ceiling which is below the ceiling joist. The can should be placed on the ceiling tile.
HIVOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

The housing should be secured to the ceiling grid, not the floor framing.

Last edited by Jim Port; 03-14-2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: deleted post
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIVOLT View Post
From what I see from your pictures you have a drop ceiling which is below the ceiling joist. The can should be placed on the ceiling tile.
Not quite sure what you mean - but the placement of the can is not the problem. As you can see with this kind of light - the clips when inserted at the one and only hole cause the light to be drawn into the ceiling box too high.

I have installed two of them today by bending the clips - but I find it hard to believe that bending the clips is the right thig to do in order for the lights to sit low enough in the ceiling box oin order for the gimble to be attached.
balithecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #5
CodeEnforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
The housing should be secured to the ceiling grid, not the floor framing.
You are correct. I have used these type of receeded fixtures. They are made to attached tp the floor joist or ceiling strapping.
HIVOLT is offline   Reply With Quote