Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Combining multiple generator outputs

I picked up a Generac 17,500watt portable yesterday on sale.

The largest output on the generator is a 50 amp line. By definition that limits me to 12,500 watts

Id really like to get the most of this generator. Each output would be synched since its coming from the same generator.

Can I hook both into the panel to get access to 80amps?

My super pregnant wife wants AC in case we lose power so I need the amps

Last edited by slingha; 08-04-2012 at 05:36 AM.
slingha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 60

You would be better off by upgrading the outputs of the genny !
Like using a larger socket, or by hardwiring.

dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
You would be better off by upgrading the outputs of the genny !
Like using a larger socket, or by hardwiring.
I would if it didnt void the warranty. I already asked Generac That
Old 08-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 212

Return it and get a bigger one then.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 60

What about running two lines from the genny ?
Say one for the A/C system and another for the rest of house ?
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #6

Yes, absolutely you could put a L14-50 inlet and a 50 amp inlet and run two cables to the generator. That would probably the most economical way to do it. A 100 amp "pin and sleeve" setup would probalby cost more than the generator itself.

The big question however is do you really NEED to do that. That 50 amp outlet will easily handle momentary surges well above 50 amps. Most houses with 200 amp service usually dont pull more than 50 amps continous. What do you have to run needs that much power?
Auger01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auger01 View Post
Yes, absolutely you could put a L14-50 inlet and a 50 amp inlet and run two cables to the generator. That would probably the most economical way to do it. A 100 amp "pin and sleeve" setup would probalby cost more than the generator itself.

The big question however is do you really NEED to do that. That 50 amp outlet will easily handle momentary surges well above 50 amps. Most houses with 200 amp service usually dont pull more than 50 amps continous. What do you have to run needs that much power?
My 3 ton AC has an LRA of 67 amps with 15 running. If it kicks on with refrigerators, freezers, my 300ft deep well pump, septic pump etc running it will overload the 50 amp line.

My thought was to have two inlet plugs, a 50 and and a 30 amp then puth them both into transfer switches, then into the same panel on breakers.

So
Old 08-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingha View Post
Id really like to get the most of this generator. Each output would be synched since its coming from the same generator.
You can't assume that. You'd need to check with Generac. It all depends upon how the alternator is wired. Remember, the phasing is also very important.

Put in one dedicated transfer panel for your a/c, another dedicated panel for the other loads (well pump, etc.) you want to run on backup.
AandPDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AandPDan View Post
You can't assume that. You'd need to check with Generac. It all depends upon how the alternator is wired. Remember, the phasing is also very important.

Put in one dedicated transfer panel for your a/c, another dedicated panel for the other loads (well pump, etc.) you want to run on backup.
The phasing is definitely important and im well aware of that danger.

If all of the power is coming from the same turbine, it would be synched. I don't think there could be a scenario where it wouldn't be. Can you elaborate on your thought that they might not be?

In regards to a sub-panel for the AC, I think if I hooked up the 30amp to it, i'd pop the breaker. Besides, the running watts is 17250 so why not make that available to the entire house in case I need it?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #10

Quote:
The phasing is definitely important and im well aware of that danger.

If all of the power is coming from the same turbine, it would be synched. I don't think there could be a scenario where it wouldn't be. Can you elaborate on your thought that they might not be?
Depending upon how the alternator is wound, there may be different windings instead of one with "taps" so the phasing might vary. Even a little bit will cause problems.

Quote:
In regards to a sub-panel for the AC, I think if I hooked up the 30amp to it, i'd pop the breaker. Besides, the running watts is 17250 so why not make that available to the entire house in case I need it?
What's the breaker on your a/c now?
AandPDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #11

Quote:

The largest output on the generator is a 50 amp line. By definition that limits me to 12,500 volts
Old 08-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
Great answer. Yes I can surge the 12500. But thanks for stopping by troll
Old 08-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #13

First of all, newbie....where do you get 12000 volts from a 240 volt source? I pointed out your inaccuracy. Putting in two seperate panels is by far the safest way to go. But as others have suggested, perhaps you need a larger generator.... a standby would be much better for someone trying to backup an entire home. Interlock kits work well also but you would need to sacrifice some circuits. Considering the delicate condition of your wife a automatic standby would take care of things if you weren't there to handle it.
jbfan (08-03-2012)
Old 08-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #14

Dont overthink this. If you feel the 50 amp plug isnt enough then do it this way:

install a 30 amp and a 50 amp inlet on the house. Connect the lines from the inlets via split bolts or polaris connectors and and terminate them on 80 amp breakers interlocked with the main.

Ill bet you a diet coke that all the receptacles on that generator are wired in parallel. There are three ways to verify this.

1. With a meter
2. Open the panel and visually trace the wires.
3. The wiriing diagram in the owners manual. (hint: page 30)
Auger01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Auger01 For This Useful Post:
zappa (08-06-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #15
Master Electrician

Why are you sizing anything off the lra? What's the plate say for Fla and breaker size. The odds of your ac fridge freezer and well pump all kicking on at the exact milllisecond for the millisecond the lra actually means anything is so slim I wouldn't even want to try and figure it out. Get the real data on the stuff. The 50a plug will be just fine and your genny will last longer and run smoother because your not attempting to load it right down. If I read your other post right you have a running amps of 15. That's peanuts.

Just because your gen is capable of putting out that kind of power doesn't mean its good for it to do so. Its the equivalent of reving up your car to where the limiter kicks in and holding it there for five hours.

I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.

Last edited by andrew79; 08-04-2012 at 01:28 AM.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote