Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2008, 07:54 AM   #1
When is fishing season?

Share |

combination smoke/CO detectors

I recently added another smoke/co in the basement where there wasnt one before, and swapped out the smoke in the living room with a combo. When the CO goes off (during a test) it does NOT sound any of the smoke only units! I thought they were still supposed to sound ALL alarms?

Old 12-03-2008, 10:00 AM   #2

I have yet to see any of these combination units installed, although the 2009 IRC will definately change that when it comes out. Does the smoke detector you installed interlace with the other ones in the house? Did you pull 3 wires?

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

I've installed smoke-only detetcors in all the bedrooms upstairs and in the hallway, and bedrooms downstairs with a combo unit near the furnace. Everything is all tied in together, in total there are 6 smoke only and 1 combo. Any one of the alarms will signal all the others, even the combo unit. I would double check your wiring and verify that there is a 3 wire cable interconnecting all of the smoke detectors with the combo unit. Also, are they all the same brand? This can have an effect on the proper operation of these as well.
theatretch85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
When is fishing season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
I have yet to see any of these combination units installed, although the 2009 IRC will definately change that when it comes out. Does the smoke detector you installed interlace with the other ones in the house? Did you pull 3 wires?
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatretch85 View Post
I've installed smoke-only detetcors in all the bedrooms upstairs and in the hallway, and bedrooms downstairs with a combo unit near the furnace. Everything is all tied in together, in total there are 6 smoke only and 1 combo. Any one of the alarms will signal all the others, even the combo unit. I would double check your wiring and verify that there is a 3 wire cable interconnecting all of the smoke detectors with the combo unit. Also, are they all the same brand? This can have an effect on the proper operation of these as well.
Yes, they are all interconnected, wired properly. All the same brand (USI Electric)

Using the test mode, the smoke alarm test will set off all 5 of them. The co test only sets off the 2 co units.

I emailed USI Electric and got this respose:

Andy,

If a regular smoke alarm it will set off the smoke side of the combo and if a CO goes off it will set off the CO side of the combo. They are 2 different signals so they will only setoff the corresponding unit.

Sharon Yelton
Customer Service
Old 12-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #5

Do your combo units actually have 2 separate test buttons one for CO and one for smoke? I think my combo only has 1 test button so naturally I fiigured a CO alarm would trigger the rest. That's interesting to know that it doesn't exactly work that way. I wonder if its like that for all units manufactured or if its just certain brands.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #6
When is fishing season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatretch85 View Post
Do your combo units actually have 2 separate test buttons one for CO and one for smoke? I think my combo only has 1 test button so naturally I fiigured a CO alarm would trigger the rest. That's interesting to know that it doesn't exactly work that way. I wonder if its like that for all units manufactured or if its just certain brands.
No, it just has one. When you push it, it goes through the smoke test first then the CO test.

Im with you that I just assumed they would set off ALL unites connected to that circuit.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyAndy View Post
No, it just has one. When you push it, it goes through the smoke test first then the CO test.

Im with you that I just assumed they would set off ALL unites connected to that circuit.
Hmm, I'll have to check my setup when I get home to see if the CO alarm signals all of them.