Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2007, 11:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Color of WIRE

I would like to know what grage of wire this is, I have Black wire and would like to know what grage it is? If anyone can tell me I would be thankful. My house was built in 1973 if this helps. Also does my wire need to be brought up to date?

Rifeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:24 PM   #2
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 500

Color of WIRE

Color has nothing to do with wire size, i.e. gauge. You could have 12 awg. black or 350Kcmil black. On the other hand, color does in many instances provide some insight into what a conductor's purpose is. If enough of the conductor is accessible, there may be labelling on its jacket that identifies among other things, the manufacturer, size, insulation type. More than likely it is either 14 or 12 awg.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Color of WIRE

Can you post a photo?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:42 PM   #4

Color of WIRE

Than here is another question, There is only 2 wires in the black wire and the new wire has 3 wires, so what is the best thing to do, beace you cannot hock the new with the old can you you? the black does not have that ground wire like the new wire has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmy View Post
Color has nothing to do with wire size, i.e. gauge. You could have 12 awg. black or 350Kcmil black. On the other hand, color does in many instances provide some insight into what a conductor's purpose is. If enough of the conductor is accessible, there may be labelling on its jacket that identifies among other things, the manufacturer, size, insulation type. More than likely it is either 14 or 12 awg.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:56 PM   #5
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Color of WIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifeman View Post
There is only 2 wires in the black wire and the new wire has 3 wires...
I'm sorry, I may have misunderstood your original post. When you say "black wire" do you mean black cable?

Also, what are you trying to do? It sounds like you're aiming to lengthen an existing cable or parallel additional load (i.e. receptacles?).

The most important thing to remember w.r.t. wire jacket color in residential is that white is neutral and green is ground. There are instances where you can bend the rules by application of proper colored tape, paint, etc., based on what the conductor's function is.

Finally, do you mean that the new [cable] has 3 individually-insulated conductors (i.e. Black, Red, White) or 2 conductors with a bare ground wire?
Old 03-12-2007, 02:23 PM   #6

Color of WIRE

I will start over In my grage I have black cable that goes to a light switch in the kitchen to turn the light on out in the grage. i put a new light switch in and this has a little red light on it that wll told you that you left the light on in the Grage. Will in hooking it up it works backwards, when the light is on the light is off and when the light is off the grage light is on. I tried everything that I could think of and a frind told me that the old cable is hooked up differant.

This is why I think I need to strat over and put 12/2 wire in the grage so things would be allot better.

Now get a load of this when I took the wood paneling off my basement walls the wires was taped together with Duck Tape you bet I was mad.

What other things did they do when they builtthis house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmy View Post
I'm sorry, I may have misunderstood your original post. When you say "black wire" do you mean black cable?

Also, what are you trying to do? It sounds like you're aiming to lengthen an existing cable or parallel additional load (i.e. receptacles?).

The most important thing to remember w.r.t. wire jacket color in residential is that white is neutral and green is ground. There are instances where you can bend the rules by application of proper colored tape, paint, etc., based on what the conductor's function is.

Finally, do you mean that the new [cable] has 3 individually-insulated conductors (i.e. Black, Red, White) or 2 conductors with a bare ground wire?
Old 03-12-2007, 06:22 PM   #7
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Color of WIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifeman View Post
I will start over In my grage I have black cable that goes to a light switch in the kitchen to turn the light on out in the grage. i put a new light switch in and this has a little red light on it that wll told you that you left the light on in the Grage. Will in hooking it up it works backwards, when the light is on the light is off and when the light is off the grage light is on. I tried everything that I could think of and a frind told me that the old cable is hooked up differant.

...What other things did they do when they builtthis house?
Hmmm. This may sound strange but I've installed light switches before that featured pilot lights which illuminated to help locate the switch in the dark. That said, when the switch was moved to the "on" position, the indicator light went dark (presumably because at that point, the light was on and you would no longer need it). If it is a 1P switch, I can't think of how it would be wired incorrectly (unless it is switching the neutral instead of the hot. Assuming that the indicator light is internally wired up across the switch contacts, the behavior should be the same though regardless of whether hot or neutral was switched).

In response to your last question, try opening up some walls. I've found enough craziness in one year of ownership to write a book!
Old 03-12-2007, 07:27 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,052

Color of WIRE

There are two types of lighted switches.
1. Has a small neon lamp inside that lights up when the light is. It helps you find the switch in the dark
2. Has s separate pilot light that comes on when you turn on the light. this is the type you need. Post the info on the switch you have. This type would require the neutral wire to be connected to the switch.
Does your switch have a place for the neutral wire? Does switch box even have a neutral wire? Not all white wires are neutral. If there is only black and white wire and they are both connected to the switch then you don't have a neutral wire.

Last edited by joed; 03-12-2007 at 07:29 PM.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote