Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2007, 07:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

code violation?

Does using the backstabber on both sides of a 15A receptacle with the line voltage on one side and the load on the other violate code? Do I have to use pigtails to use both backstabbers?

krw1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:34 AM   #2

code violation?

Don't believe it's a code violation, it is however a bad practice. With regards to the pig tails, I only have one pair of wires attached to the receptacle (not including the ground), always pigtail, only attached via screws.

RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:21 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 16

code violation?

Pigtailing to one backstab is inferior to no pigtail and daisy chaining using both screws on a receptacle.

If daisy chaining using wire nut and pigtail is done for the hot wire, it must be done for the neutral also. For combination 120/240 volt circuits serving alternating 120 volt receptacles down the wall, the shared neutral must be wire nutted and pigtailed at each outlet box.

The idea is that, if a receptacle is replaced, at no time may a hot wire be continuous while the neutral is taken apart.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:33 PM   #4
Union Electrician

code violation?

I'm still trying to find the article, but somewhere it says that continuity of the neutral is NOT allowed to rely on a device. That is to say, instead of splicing and a pigtail, you put one neutral on one screw, and the other one on the second. It does not, however, (to my recollection) say anything about ungrounded conductors. Although multiple stabs (or any stabs IMO) is just poor workmanship.
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:27 PM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 54

code violation?

Goose, that is only required with multi-wire circuits as Allan suggested about splicing.

NEC 300.13
(B) Device Removal
In multiwire branch circuits, the continuity of a grounded conductor shall not depend on device connections such as lampholders, receptacles, and so forth, where the removal of such devices would interrupt the continuity.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:30 PM   #6

code violation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippySkippy View Post
Don't believe it's a code violation, it is however a bad practice. With regards to the pig tails, I only have one pair of wires attached to the receptacle (not including the ground), always pigtail, only attached via screws.
rippy i agree with you 100% i never use the back stabs not even for temp.power (however i love the guys that do, service calls = easy $)
but not using the screws for daisy chaining is just your personal preferance
i do it all the time never had an issue.mwbc's thats a different animal you have no choice.
GREGNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:16 AM   #7

code violation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGNC View Post
....but not using the screws for daisy chaining is just your personal preferance...
Couldn't agree more...call it old school. One city would not allow (read: inspector wouldn't allow it) more than the common 3 wire connection to receptacles. Once burned, twice shy.....

I would say that one of the most important thing HO can do is to get the loops on the wires the right diameter, and on the screw the going the correct way. Snug the screws up....don't over do it...just make sure they're good and tight.

RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote