DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Code question on extending existing 120v circuit

4K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  nap 
#1 ·
I'm adding a new outlet box, about 6 feet from an existing outlet.
There is no ground in the existing box. 50 year old home.
Does anyone know what the national codes say about adding a new outlet to an old/existing circuit, when the old circuit doesn't have a ground available?
I have run romex w/ground between the boxes.
Do I install a 2 prong duplex outlet so no one thinks there is a ground available?

Thanks for any clues.

#2 ·
Yes

Install the new outlet with 2 prong.

If your looking for protection you can install a GFI in the outlet your tapping into and it would protect both outlets.
If you do it this way read the complete instructions that come with the GFI , it explains the wiring and how to use it with more than one outlet.

#3 ·
Install the new outlet with 2 prong.

If your looking for protection you can install a GFI in the outlet your tapping into and it would protect both outlets.
If you do it this way read the complete instructions that come with the GFI , it explains the wiring and how to use it with more than one outlet.
Good way to get around a non grounded 2 prong problem.Good advice.

#4 ·
So, do you guys want to support your contention that the code allows you to extend a circuit that does not include an equipment grounding conductor? I cannot seem to find anything that allows such work.

then, y'all need to look at 406.3(D) and see what it says about GFCI's in this situation.

nevermind.

you cannot (legally) extend a circuit without an equipment grounding conductor (EGC). Any newly installed receptacle must be a legal installation and a legal installation, per code, includes an EGC.

when you do use a GFCI as a replacement for a 2 wire recep (no EGC in system), you do not connect an EGC from that recep to any receps that may be fed through that GFCI. You also have to apply those little stickers at subsequent receps that say "no equipment ground" and "GFCI protected"

Since you cannot extend an circuit without an EGC, the new recep will need to be a 3 prong recep because it should have an EGC. You can only replace existing 2 prong receps with 2 prong receps. You cannot install them in new installations.

#6 ·
So, do you guys want to support your contention that the code allows you to extend a circuit that does not include an equipment grounding conductor? I cannot seem to find anything that allows such work.

then, y'all need to look at 406.3(D) and see what it says about GFCI's in this situation.

nevermind.

you cannot (legally) extend a circuit without an equipment grounding conductor (EGC). Any newly installed receptacle must be a legal installation and a legal installation, per code, includes an EGC.

when you do use a GFCI as a replacement for a 2 wire recep (no EGC in system), you do not connect an EGC from that recep to any receps that may be fed through that GFCI. You also have to apply those little stickers at subsequent receps that say "no equipment ground" and "GFCI protected"

Since you cannot extend an circuit without an EGC, the new recep will need to be a 3 prong recep because it should have an EGC. You can only replace existing 2 prong receps with 2 prong receps. You cannot install them in new installations.
I didn't say anything about being code allowed it's 6' away yes i agree code does not let you add any new 2 prong outlets unless you are changing out the rec .But 6' i would in my house install a GFCI and lable no ground but thats my house

#5 ·
Yeah, I agree with Nap
You need to install a 3 prong & feed it off the load side of a GFCI at the old location

There are very few instances when you can use old wiring/methods - like a historic house

Are you sure you don't have a ground?
My house has metal boxes for the old wiring, over 50 years old
The copper ground was wrapped around the wire & is a under the clamp as the ground

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.