DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Code Q on NM in NYC (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/code-q-nm-nyc-39186/)

cobannero 02-25-2009 10:11 PM

Code Q on NM in NYC
 
Hi All - New member with questions and hopefully something to contribute thats worth the while.

I recently saw in someone's home, they had NM cable (2/12), that was connected to standard 2/12 BX. Apparently, someone didn't have enough BX to reach the destination but said they had some NM in their truck and completed the job that way.

Does anyone know were I can find out if NM is even allowed in NYC?

Thanks for any advice,
Eddie

Bocolo 02-26-2009 04:33 AM

Eddie, the term is 12/2. I would be more concerned about BX being allowed than NM. Is it really BX? Or is it armored cable (AC)? Lots of people still call AC BX. You may want to look at the connections from your "BX" to the NM especially the grounds and may want to find out if it is allowed to mix BX with NM (I don't know but I would not do it). Then again rules vary from state to state and I don't know NYC's rules. I am sure NM is widely used though.

Speedy Petey 02-26-2009 06:08 AM

NM has been allowed for several years now.

NYC Electrical Code

Bob Mariani 02-26-2009 06:19 AM

Not allowed in the city. Actually not allowed in most major cities. Not allowed in most all commercial work.

Bocolo 02-26-2009 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Mariani (Post 236998)
Not allowed in the city. Actually not allowed in most major cities. Not allowed in most all commercial work.

:huh:

jerryh3 02-26-2009 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Mariani (Post 236998)
Not allowed in the city. Actually not allowed in most major cities. Not allowed in most all commercial work.

Besides Chicago, which cities can you think you?

cobannero 02-26-2009 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bocolo (Post 236964)
Eddie, the term is 12/2. I would be more concerned about BX being allowed than NM. Is it really BX? Or is it armored cable (AC)? Lots of people still call AC BX. You may want to look at the connections from your "BX" to the NM especially the grounds and may want to find out if it is allowed to mix BX with NM (I don't know but I would not do it). Then again rules vary from state to state and I don't know NYC's rules. I am sure NM is widely used though.


Thanks - It is AC connected to NM. They simply joined the two and ran the remaining 15' thru external (plastic), channeling to the box.

I've seen NM in pictures, mags, etc. but this was my first time seeing it in a NYC building.

Bocolo 02-26-2009 10:39 AM

The statement that NM is not allowed in most major cities is incorrect. I do not know specifically for NYC but someone posted a link for you. I am not sure about commercial applications. If it is AC 12/2 with ground connected to NM 12/2 with ground in a Junction Box you should be OK. I personally (my preference) do not like mixing any wires and again you need to check NYC specific codes.

cobannero 02-26-2009 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy Petey (Post 236995)
NM has been allowed for several years now.

NYC Electrical Code


Thanks a lot for the link. :thumbup:

Speedy Petey 02-26-2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Mariani (Post 236998)
Not allowed in the city. Actually not allowed in most major cities. Not allowed in most all commercial work.

Really. You sound like someone who has been told these things his whole career but never checked for himself.
The old "No NM on commercial jobs" wives tale has been around a long time. Just like the "No conduit runs over 200' " rule.
I was told both of these early on in my career. I found out that both were just myths perpetuated by folks who will simply take other folk's word for things as fact.

Well Bob, we did the checking for you. I am not sure why you even made this post just 10 minutes after I posted the link to the NYC codes saying it is fine. :whistling2:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved