Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
Efy

Share |
Question

Code - can a USED breaker/panel box be used for Service Upgrading?

I'm planning to upgrade my current 60A fuse box to a 200A service panel.

I find a used panel box locally ask for $125 with all breakers I will need. I'm curious if it is OK with the CODE by using an used box.

Also another question, how to keep the electrical supplying while changing the service wires and waiting for the inspection? For the hydro company may need to shut off and reconnect the power during the process.

Efy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #2

First of all, a used panel will have used breakers, possible arcing issues on the buss(s). A new panel is well worth the extra cost. Are you planning on doing this yourself? Is your current service weather head wired with adequate wiring for a 200 amp service? Is your meter socket a 200 amp socket now? You need to contact the POCO and the AHJ before proceeding.

Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:05 PM   #3
Efy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
First of all, a used panel will have used breakers, possible arcing issues on the buss(s). A new panel is well worth the extra cost. Are you planning on doing this yourself? Is your current service weather head wired with adequate wiring for a 200 amp service? Is your meter socket a 200 amp socket now? You need to contact the POCO and the AHJ before proceeding.
1. I'll do the work by myself.
2. The current service is head wired, and
3. the METER is a 200A - think the socket should be the same.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

The METER is irrelevant. Most power companies use plug-in meters rated for 200 Amp regardless of the meter socket size.

Chances are you will have to replace the service drop, meter box, AND the panel and breakers.

How about taking a picture of your meter box, showing the incoming and outgoing cables and posting it here?

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:40 AM   #5
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

$125 doesn't sound like a very good deal, unless it's full of AFCI breakers. You'll likely need some AFCI's, but a used panel probably isn't new enough to have them. The cost of the panel and breakers will not be the expensive part of this project.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:34 AM   #6

It's not worth it.

Buy a new panel. You can find kits at the home center with a 200 amp panel and several NEW breakers for less than $100. Plain breakers are fairly cheap as well but as the others said, you'll likely need some AFCI's to meet code.
AandPDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
A "Handy Husband"

Go with new.

Here is a square D Homeline 200 amp 30 space 40 circuit panel with a 200 amp main breaker, 12 single pole 20 amp breakers, 1 30 and 1 50 amp 2 pole breakers for $114.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Any AFCI or GFCI breakers you need will have to be bought separately whether you go new or used. Don't take the chance with used breakers.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efy View Post

Also another question, how to keep the electrical supplying while changing the service wires and waiting for the inspection? For the hydro company may need to shut off and reconnect the power during the process.

If you are running a new drop, meter socket, and panel, you can run a 60 amp breaker from old box to new box. Best bet is to move either your Stove or Dryer if they are electric into the new box to free up space. You can use two 60 amp breakers, one in each box to run power between them to temporarily power both boxes. This is extremely helpful when remodeling/changing boxes to keep power in the old system while you transition.

Also, as the others have stated, it is not a good idea to buy used. You have no idea what kind of issues they had with their box and why there are removing it. For the same price you can buy a new box and breakers. Home Depot has everything you need from the weather head through the meter socket all the way into the box and breakers.

Check with your energy supplier to get your new meter location. If your other utilities have moved to another spot on your home, your electrical will need to be moved as well.

As for having a 200 amp meter already installed, it is unlikely although not impossible. If it's old wiring, you're going to have to make sure it is rated for 200 amp. Aluminum is #4/0 3 wire.
yeag6154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #9

OP: from your use of "hydro company" I'm guessing you are in Canada, no? If so, which province?

Are you sure you need a 200A service? If you heat space + water with gas, I would bet not, a 100 A service would probably suffice - you need to do the calculations. A brand new 100A service panel with breakers can be had for less than $125, including taxes, here in Ontario.
CuHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #10
liscenced electrician

to answer the OP question. I believe as long as the equipment is up to code, i don't see why "used" would be agaist code. All KO's would need to be plugged and things like that. I don't think the NEC ever mentions that parts must be new. After all, tons of electrical equipment gets moved all the time. That being said, I wouldn't pay top dollar for some used breakers. It sounds like they are asking about 2-3x what the panel is worth. If the breakers are fairly new looking and in good condition, i personally wouldn't have a problem using them.
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:24 PM   #11

if he just change the old panel for a new panel he dont have to put gfci and afci since this is not a remodeling
carmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #12
A "Handy Husband"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmusic View Post
if he just change the old panel for a new panel he dont have to put gfci and afci since this is not a remodeling
Not true as a blanket statement. NEC may not require but local amendments might require it. You will need a permit so ask when you get it about GFCI and AFCI
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
NJMarine (10-14-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #13
Efy

Thank you guys all.
Yes, I'm in Ontario Canada.

Actually, I want to install rooftop solar PV as the MicroFit program - I'll need to change the meter base to dual type to accomodate an extra revenue meter.
My current service is 60A and it's enough right now.
I'd prefer to take this chance to upgrade the service.

Two photos is attached for reference.(I can not upload them)
I believe the drop(as well as the hydro supply) wire is only #6, that is only good for 60A by the Ontario Code.

So the question may go further to:
1. Should I UPGRADE the service by the chance or wait until I need?
2. If upgrade, should be only to 100A or to the ultimate 200A? I know 200A will be enough for any future needs such as to use geothermal heat pump - I'll never use direct electrical heating though.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #14
Efy

I checked the box price in Homedepot and Lowe's, the breakers included are only several basic ones without the main.
As for the used panel box/breakers, most of them should be in fair condition - breakers would generally be not on/off as frequently as switches. Most of them should serve as long as we need.
As for the AFCI, for I will not touch the bed room outlets. Reasonably, I should be not required to upgrade to AFCI. Anyway, I'll ask when applying the permit.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #15

Bypass the home store and find an electrical supplier.
For permits and inspections start here: http://esasafe.com
You need to do a load calculation to determine the required service size. At the website above you will find links to the Ontario Electrical Safety Code, which you can purchase online. Additionally you can find a "guide", such as "Ontario Electrical Code Simplified", at most bookstores. That one in particular has a section that will assist you with the load calculation, with examples.

Before you invest in any equipment for the microfit program, make sure you have an offer to connect from the utility. Can be a very expensive showstopper if not planned in advance.

CuHead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
code, inspection, upgrading, used panel box