Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #1

Share |

Which code

I received a permit for work in my house in 2007. At the time all the electric was roughed in and inspected. Most of the work has been completed (slowed down considerably due to the economy) and I expect to get the last of it done this year.

At the time the electric rough was inspected we were under the 2002 NEC. Now, my state is using the 2008 NEC.

When we ask for the final inspection, will we have to comply with the 2008 (or possibly the 2011 if we take much longer).

This is important since there have been numerous changes which would result in my having to have things ripped out/open to comply with the later codes.

DrPcFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
I=E/R

Which code

Well, your permit was issued 4 years ago so you need to contact the agency that issued the permit. Some permits expire if the work isn't completed with the time frame of the permit. The NEC doesn't come into play for this issue.

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
I ask the impossible!

Which code

If we can assume that what my jurisdiction does is typical, then consider this:

My permits require that work is supposed to be started within 6 months and completed within 6 months, they treat it as expiring 12 months after issue. You can get extensions, they charge for them. I've looked at my houses permit history and there was a building permit that was closed 2 years after issue because no final was requested.

I would guess that you'd have to pull new permits and you'd have to comply with the new codes.

There might not be anything that affects your cable runs, just maybe having to use AFCI breakers, GFCI and tamper resistant... Breaker and receptacle changes should at least not involve having to reopen walls if you can show your rough inspection sticker, but that'd be a question for your AHJ.
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote