Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Coaxial Cable Wiring Help

Hi,

I am doing a complete renovation of my house and have the walls fully open so I am planning to run new RG-6 coaxial cable and telephone lines to each of the appropriate rooms of the house.

I can't find any good info/wiring diagrams on how to run the coaxial cable and telephone wiring from the source in the basement to the upstairs levels. This is a two story house plus the basement level (3 levels in total).

Some of the questions I have are:

How far from electrical wires should coaxial cables be? If too close will there be interference?

Can I run coaxial wires and telephone lines through the same hole in the studs without causing interference?

Do I use a large splitter at the source in the basement and run a single coaxial line to each of the rooms in the house or do I run one coaxial line to each floor and then use a splitter and run a wire to each room? Which wiring setup is less likely to weaken the signal?

Would I use an amplifier near the source where I am splitting the signal the greatest or only inside those rooms where a weak signal is found later?

Thanks everyone in advance!

psubaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,216

Sit down and figure out how many jacks will be in each room, and if any computer equipment, or networked media & gaming equipment will also be there. Pull everything to a central location, use Cat-5e or Cat-6 for both telephone & networking, and use a panel that allows catv, telephone, networking to be terminated (Leviton makes such a cabinet).

Living room, figure min. 6 network cables, one coax, two would be better. Bedrooms, figure two network, one coax per, then go from there. The great thing about using the RJ-45 jacks, is that RJ-11 plugs will fit in just fine, and only uses the two inside pins for L1. The patch panels for Leviton, take this in consideration when you use the telephone module.

You really need a plan, and sitting down with either a blueprint, or drawing out a plan helps when you do structured wiring. Just doing it on the fly and not future proofing, causes problems later on down the road. As for the amplifier, you do not need one near the rooms for coax, and probably will not need one at all if you plan the system out properly.

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Every time you split a coax signal you lose power to the outputs. Too many splits can degrade the signal below a useable level.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,010

Run everything to one location, and do all the splitting there. Every split (regardless of whether the splitter output is connected to anything) reduces signal strength, so use as few splitters as possible. In other words, if you have 8 room wired but only 3 of them have TVs right now, don't use an 8-way splitter. Use a 3-way, and change it later if you add more TVs.

There are no significant issues running coax or ethernet near power.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #5

Need a clarification.... Is this what you suggest:
I should run one coaxial cable to the first floor of the house from the source in the basement, split it in two. One wire will feed the first floor splitter and the other will feed the second floor splitter. Also i would use the smallest splitter possible on each floor to run cables to each room on that floor.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by psubaron View Post
Need a clarification.... Is this what you suggest:
I should run one coaxial cable to the first floor of the house from the source in the basement, split it in two. One wire will feed the first floor splitter and the other will feed the second floor splitter. Also i would use the smallest splitter possible on each floor to run cables to each room on that floor.
No, you run every run to the basement to a panel. That means, telephone, networking, and coax for tv. Do not split at every floor, because it causes problems later on, and causes signal degeneration. You put everything in a central cabinet, it makes it easier to work on when you need to change lines as active & inactive.

If you plan on having 24 runs of coax, that means in the basement you should have 24 runs of coax. Same with telephone, and if you plan on incorporating a LAN, the same for that also. If you only want to run 3 tv sets, then of course, you will have 21 ends not getting any signal, due to they will be disconnected at the box, but will be labeled (ie 1-lrw (for Living Room West)-4-1 (that would be 1st floor, living room west side, wallplate number 4, coax 1)), so the next person knows where they go, if they wish to make changes.

In my case, my wireless can reach the first floor, but in your case, if you want to do wireless, you may have to incorporate a access point on the second floor, which means putting in planning a cat-5e or cat-6 at that point. Plan for now, but also plan for the future. A properly designed system will look neat and clean, and the next person would have no problems working on it.

Last edited by gregzoll; 08-02-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #7

Thanks! That cleared up my confusion.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,478

And if you have satellite TV some of the boxes need two runs of coax.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:03 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
And if you have satellite TV some of the boxes need two runs of coax.
Actually not any more. The newer ones do need a network jack for media sharing & ppv.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #10

I'm clear about how to run the coaxial cable.

I am confused now about running telephone wiring. What is the standard for running all new wiring for telephone?

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2011, 11:29 AM   #11
Retired from the grind

Run Cat-5e as single runs from each jack, back to where you are locating the structured wiring panel, with the coax wiring.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #12

Okay so I will run one coaxial cable and one cat5e cable together from the basement to each room?
Old 08-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

I would run one coax, and two cat-5e for each jack. Keep in mind, that some rooms may need more than one set of runs, depending on the location that a phone may be placed.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #14

Why would some jacks need more than one cat5e cable? Also, cat5e cables are the same cables used for both phone AND internet? Or will I have to install a converter to make the cat5e wiring work for telephone? Sorry for all the questions... I am great at electrical but this is my first time installing telephone wires and its a whole house I am rewiring.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

Cat-5e is used for telephone now, along with also used for Internet. If you wish to use the cable as a LAN, as I stated before, a phone cord with a RJ-11 end will fit into a RJ-45 jack. The Leviton structured wiring panels have modules that you can use for both coax, telephone, LAN.