Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2009, 12:28 PM   #1

Share |
Question

coaxial cable problem

I have my computer and TV hooked up to Comcast Cable using a short length of coaxial cable from the wall outlet to a splitter which goes to the tv and the computer. This has worked fine for over a year until last week. The computer did not receive the internet connection while the tv was ok. If I hooked the computer to the wall cable outlet directly, it worked. So I bought Radio Shack's best splitter and short cable. I still can't get the computer connection to work with the replacements in place. It only works if hooked up directly. Any ideas on what is the problem???? Thanks.

dpalmer637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

coaxial cable problem

Bad splitter and even worse splitter. Seriously, don't buy CATV stuff from Radio Shack. Either find the "Ideal" brand of splitters found at Home Depot which are a much better quality splitter, or better yet call comcast and tell them of the problem you are having. Usually they will send out a tech to check the lines, measure the signal level at the cable connection to the modem, and if the splitters need to be replaced, they put in thier splitters and get it working; that is thier job.

Also, splitter MUST be rated for BI-Directional use when used in conjunction with your cable modem. Also, quality of the cable can be a factor as well, if you have a crumby cable it will affect the signal.

theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:41 PM   #3

coaxial cable problem

Is there another splitter before this splitter?
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:14 PM   #4

coaxial cable problem

Yeah, there is some issue with power splitters and Internet reception. It doesn't make analog sense but the Internet is not really analog.
You might try terminating unused splitter ports with a 75 ohm termination cap, and make sure the cable is not crimped [it changes the characteristic impedance and causes signal reflections].

Last edited by Yoyizit; 03-03-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:46 AM   #5

coaxial cable problem

As said above, splitters are different. Most only go "one way" while others go "both ways".

Coax cable is different. Cheap coax cable can let outside electrical noise in while better quality (RG-6 quad shielded) will keep electrical noise out.

And even the connectors can make a difference. Regular "F-Connectors" are not as good as "compression connectors" shown below...

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
Res Ipsa Loquitur

coaxial cable problem

[quote=theatretch85;239733 Usually they will send out a tech to check the lines, measure the signal level at the cable connection to the modem, and if the splitters need to be replaced, they put in thier splitters and get it working; that is their job. [/quote]

Absolutely- I had an upgrade from Comcast basic cable to digital cable/ phone / internet. My installer checked the lines told me my underground was bad to which he gave me a temp connection and placed the order for the underground install.
Afterward he asked about my splitters and when he said those were't official Comcast, he asked what I needed and how many and offered a handful for my own replacement.

They do not want repeated complaints from you about their quality. If they are sure its good then it's not their fault and cheaper to replace than have complaints. Bad for business!
Old 03-07-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
Master Electrician

coaxial cable problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
Is there another splitter before this splitter?
The cable for the modem should come from the very 1st splitter for the house.

BTW, I detest Comcast service. We had a problem with the internet and it only took 5 weeks and about 9 techs to locate it.
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:05 AM   #8

coaxial cable problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ0906 View Post
The cable for the modem should come from the very 1st splitter for the house.

BTW, I detest Comcast service. We had a problem with the internet and it only took 5 weeks and about 9 techs to locate it.
It only took them four trips to find my problem. A squirrel had chewed part of the wire up at the pole.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #9

coaxial cable problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
It only took them four trips to find my problem. A squirrel had chewed part of the wire up at the pole.
Great point - I spent hours re-doing my connectors because Cablevision (now Time-Warner) told me that was the problem. The second time I had a guy who tested the incoming line - and it had a low signal - so correcting the problem on the pole solved my loss problems at the router.

Many Cable routers also will provide you with the signal strength - this can be useful when troubleshooting. The company can usually query the Box to see what the level is at your box without coming out.

It is true that not all splitters are created equal - and the Modem should be on the "low loss" connector, and not split multiple times.

I would call the Cable company first - have him check the signal strength, and ask him what it is.

tribe_fan is offline   Reply With Quote