Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Coax Amplifier

I have 6 coax outlets in my house all wired to a central data box. I'll need one more split if I were to use a cable modem for internet. Will I need an amplified splitter? At what point will I need one?

I would like this setup to work whether I choose the source to be from the cable company or a rooftop antennae, all feeding the 6 outlets. Of course with rooftop antennae setup, I would not be using the cable modem.

acerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,036

Coax Amplifier

It is hard to say whether or not you need a coax amplifier because this depends on the signal strength from the antenna or the cable line, but splitting six ways probably will need a splitter even if only one of the branches has a TV hooked up to it at the moment.

Ordinary distribution amplifiers for coax don't work with internet. You would need a "bidirectional" amplifier (passes data from the computer back up to the cable modem as well).

Old 09-30-2011, 02:39 AM   #3

Coax Amplifier

been searching but havent found anything. How do you figure out signal strength?

As for bidirectional, I would you'd need it for all coax ports since nowadays its all about on-demand which I'm sure the cable box has to phone home for.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,340

Coax Amplifier

You will really need to take measurements, either with the modem or cable set tep, if the later offers that option. The easiest way, is to set up an appt with your cable co. to come and take the mrasurements, to see if you are good for the new line.

Keep in mind, cascading splitters will cause problems, along with poor connectors.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Coax Amplifier

One way would be to add a two way splitter with one output feeding the cable modem and the other feeding your existing splitter. If you find your TV signal needs a boost you could add the amplifier between the two way and six way splitter.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Coax Amplifier

To add to my previous, you can not mix the cable modem on a ota system. If running a mixed system, the only place for the amp, will be ota.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 09-30-2011, 11:07 PM   #7

Coax Amplifier

For best performance, split your incoming cable with a 2-way first...one to your cable modem, the other to your amplifier (learned this from the cable internet service guy who came to find out why my service was intermittent).

As was already said, you need a bi-directional amplifier. I use the Channel-Plus DA550BID http://www.linearcorp.com/product_de...?productId=190
Old 10-01-2011, 03:07 AM   #8

Coax Amplifier

how about this from amazon?
http://www.amazon.com/Bi-Directional.../dp/B000WDR94U

much less expensive. and good reviews on amazon.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:07 AM   #9

Coax Amplifier

how about this from amazon?
http://www.amazon.com/Bi-Directional.../dp/B000WDR94U

much less expensive. and good reviews on amazon.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:25 AM   #10
Retired from the grind

Coax Amplifier

You do not need it, unless you really are seeing problems with CATV. Again, if going with OTA for tv viewing, that amp is overkill, and not going to do anything for you. How many tv sets are actually going to be hooked up and watching tv at any given time?
Old 10-01-2011, 11:13 AM   #11
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,476

Coax Amplifier

Every time you use a splitter, you are cutting the signal by 3db (half power). A 2-way splitter drops the signal at each output by half. A 3-way to 1/3rd.....get the idea?

One important note....the 'internet' portion of your cable signal is at the upper freq band of your cable...close to 1 GHz. So, you need to make sure that your splitter is good for 1 GHz....a lot of the older ones are only good to about 750 MHz. If you use one of those before you cable modem, you won't get internet. AMHIK.

The cable company 'typically' drives the signal pretty good....but if you have more than 3-4 passive ports....then your starting to get into the mud.

As mentioned above....use a 1 GHz 2-way splitter before the modem...one to the modem, the other to the other ports. If the TV's work fine....don't worry about an amp.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote