Closing Off Outlets Above Electric Baseboard Heaters - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2008, 04:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

closing off outlets above electric baseboard heaters

What's the safest way of closing off outlets that are less than 2" above baseboard electric heaters? Do I need to remove the outlets themselves and put a cover plate over the box, or can I just put a cover plate over the outlet? Or ...?

All of this - baseboards & outlets - looks like original work on this 40-y.o. cabin!

Thank you.

Advertisement

abieslas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,266

Depends on why you are trying to cover them. Child safety? There are many child proof covers on the market?

Are you worried they are too close to the baseboard? Ask the mfg about clearance requirements. 2" sounds like enough.

Are you just generally worried since it's 40 years old? Nothing wrong with 1960s electric - it should be fine. Unless of course you have a known defect you are trying to fix.

Advertisement

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,546

There are some code rules that disallow receptacles above electric baseboards. If you are trying to comply with this rule you have another problem. You still must meet the 6-12 rule for receptacles along a wall. You may be required to install receptacles in the floor to meet the requirement.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Joed and jogr, thanks. Good points. There's an abundance of outlets - actually if I cover 3 and leave only 1 open above the baseboards I'll be okay as far as code.

I was worried because the baseboards get very hot, and I'm worried about cords overheating. I'm replacing the thermostats, though, which should stabilize baseboard heat somewhat. The wiring is fine, and there hasn't been a fire in 40 years.

Thank you for the reality check.
abieslas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:30 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Some heater company's have a blank that would go directly under the recept.. So you would have say a 3 foot heater then a 3 foot blank then another 3 foot heater which when installed it looks like one long heater. Or you could get the heaters with the option to install a recept. in the heater itself and extend the recept. circuit to reach, as long as the recept. is not part of the heating circuit.
James Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:15 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 506

I don't think changing the thermostats is going to change anything. When the thermostat calls for heat, the heater will turn on, and reach it's maximum temp as long as the thermostat isn't satisfied very quickly.
Even if the thermostat were to be stuck on, the heater should not reach such a high temp that it wold ignite clothing stashed onto it. I guess over time it might dry out an electric cord. You might be able to buy some kind of insulated wrapping that would work on the cords.

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:45 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

Read the Manufac. Specs and precautions as far as placement, Also read the Code for electric heaters There's a reason why they don't want outlets above the heaters. Lamp cords will melt and short out on the heater elements Possibly sparking and igniting a curtain or something. I've seen plastic hampers melt like a marshmellow that were to close to the heater, Can you imagine what it would do to a lamp cord. On another note you might want to look into these heaters they are a little pricey and you still have to adhere to the receptical precaution but they are more efficient and will still heat when the thermostat is satisfied due to the oil in the heater. http://www.qmarkmeh.com/develop/prod...0-2083-005.pdf

Advertisement

James Con is offline   Reply With Quote