Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2007, 08:45 AM   #1

Share |

Closet Light and switch

Ok, this is probably a really easy question but I just don't know what it's called or where to find one.

I'm putting in a closet, in which there will be a light. I want the light switched so that when I open the door, the light comes on and when I shut the door it goes out, like the fridge . I've seen it done before I'm just not sure what to get. My plan is to use a standard Door, although I may go bi fold. The door is only 28"

Thanks in advance
Skydmark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:40 AM   #2
Licensed Pro

Closet Light and switch

Look in the thread "Automatic Closet Lights" on this same page.
HouseHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:53 AM   #3

Closet Light and switch

And, make sure you follow the closet light rules. The old days of putting in a bare bulb incandescent light has caused so many fires closet lighting is pretty precise today. No bare incandescent bulbs anymore!

If flourescent it must maintain a clearance of 18" from the edge of the luminaire to any side and back walls, and 6" to the edge of any shelving. If there is no shelf, you still need 18" to the back wall. Remember, as measured from the EDGE of the light, you may want or need thinner lights.

If recessed incandescent it must have a closed lens so that no part of the bulb is directly exposed to clothing and like the flourescent be 18" from back and side walls and 6" to the edge of the shelf as measured from the outside TRIM edge of the recessed light (not hole opening).

You can put an incandescent bulb fixture in big closets but it has to be covered by a globe. From the edge of the globe there has to be 24" to the backwall and sides, and 12" to the edge of any shelving. You also have to maintain distances away from adjoining walls so you don't put it so close an adjoining wall's surface temp can reach over 194F.

Again, this is just for clothes closets. Oddly as far as I'm aware there is no lighting clearance requirements for laundry closets, storage closets, nor pantry closets. Those just have the rule that you can't place a bulb so close as to have an adjoining surface temp exceed 194F. BTW what defines a clothes closet is one that has a clothes hanging rod.

Last edited by Piedmont; 12-10-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote