DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Closet Light issue, Need Help mount on slope

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Yoyizit 
#1 ·
Have done plenty of research and realize that closet lighting is tricky due to codes and strict safety guildlines. Correct me if I am wrong, but what I have found is that you can use either of these methods, You can use any light fixtures as long as it has a fluresant (sp) bulb and is enclosed completely. You can also use recessed lights, but the can also has to have a complete enclosure or lense. I have also heard people say LED recessed but those seem to be pricey.

The problem that I am having is that the closet is rougly 6'X3' but that inside it has a kneewall with a slope going straight up to the other side of closet wall. There is only a small area of flat ceiling 6" maybe? Need to figure out the lighting asap. I was considering the recesseds on the slope but I am concerned about the amount of light it will put off because the IC rated cans (which I need because its going in a rafter bay) and the trim that is enclosed have low max. wattage.

So I am now thinking about just putting two fixtureswith flurescant bulbs and globes and I am wondering if they can be mounted on a slope? Can most fixtures be mounted on a slope? Are there some that can and some that can't? Can I go ahead and mount the boxes on the slope for the rough and feel confident that I can find a fixture that can be mounted on a slope? Not looking for anything fancy (it is a closet) Just a basic fixtures with a glass globe. Any input would be greatly apprieciated!!
Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I donlt think there's an issue installing on a slope. For a small closet, you probably do need fluorescent in an enclosed lamp. I don't believe compact fluorescents (CFL) can be used here in an incandescent socket. You should use a lamp that ONLY takes fluorescent bulbs.

Here is the code snippet about closet lights (Dave, if you read this, might want to update the sticky, it is still the 2005 version):

Attachments

#4 ·
I donlt think there's an issue installing on a slope. For a small closet, you probably do need fluorescent in an enclosed lamp. I don't believe compact fluorescents (CFL) can be used here in an incandescent socket. You should use a lamp that ONLY takes fluorescent bulbs.

Here is the code snippet about closet lights (Dave, if you read this, might want to update the sticky, it is still the 2005 version):

A luminaire or fixture is what goes on or in the ceiling or wall. A LAMP is what goes into the luminaire. You do not install a lamp that takes a bulb. A bulb IS the lamp.

#3 ·
Closet Lights

Hi, I ran into just this problem in a closet and couldn't find anything in the local supply houses that did what I needed. I ended up finding the Leviton 9860-LHG online. Not sure if you have something like that available locally but I found them online and they worked great. Replacement bulbs are going to be a bear to find as I can't get them locally but the lights work great and mounted easily on a slant wall.

#5 ·
Ok two question, so I shouldn't have a problem installing on a slope? as long as the correct distances are maintained? Can u hang any fixture on a slope?
Having trouble understanding the code. Can anyone explain a little more. Does a recessed with a fluorescent need to be enclosed or only incandescent? Can any recessed take a fluorescent bulb? Will any fixture that has a fluorescent bulb and also enclosed work in this scenario?

What does everyone think will light up my situation the best. I question whether the Recessed installed in slope would not fully light up all the space because it would shine straight from the slope and not illuminate further down. Would a fluorescent fixure that would stick out more be better to light the space below going down towards the kneewall?

#7 ·
Great thanks for the advice. I think I am leaning towards out putting in the recessed. Seems like the lighting would be limited and not fully luminate it like a fluresent fixture would. I am curious though if a fluresant blub in a recessed needs to be fully enclosed and if any recessed can take that bulb.

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.