Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2008, 03:10 PM   #1

Share |

clear light bulbs versus white

When I ordered fixtures and bulbs for my house, all bulbs were clear. Now when I look at stores, they all seem to have many more of the white than the clear and the clear bulbs are much more expensive. Wondering why.....

ugabulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugabulldog View Post
When I ordered fixtures and bulbs for my house, all bulbs were clear. Now when I look at stores, they all seem to have many more of the white than the clear and the clear bulbs are much more expensive. Wondering why.....
Many older fixtures where the bulbs were exposed used clear bulbs for aesthetic reasons. It seems like most modern fixtures feature some sort of shade which would preclude the need for a clear bulb. The reason that the clear type is more expensive is likely due to the fact that there's less demand for them.

Same thing applies these days to vacuum tubes. Back in the day, they were cheap and readily available. No so anymore.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:41 PM   #3

That's the problem, my bathroom fixture bulbs are exposed..... guess i'll buy the cheaper white bulbs and switch out the burned out bathroom bulbs with bulbs from rest of house. Should work for awhile anyway...
Old 04-18-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugabulldog View Post
That's the problem, my bathroom fixture bulbs are exposed..... guess i'll buy the cheaper white bulbs and switch out the burned out bathroom bulbs with bulbs from rest of house. Should work for awhile anyway...
I haven't checked prices but I'm surprised that the cost would be enough to dissuade you from buying what you really want. Have you checked any on-line resources, i.e. bulbs.com, etc?
Old 04-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #5

good advice jimmy, thanks for the link..... "money pit owner" that's a good one
Old 04-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #6
Power Gen/RS Engineer

No problem. My wife and I owned a new condo some time ago. We hated the fixtures that the builder was using so much that we told him to omit all of them for a credit. Then we bought our own.

We found these strip fixtures for the bathrooms that we totally loved. That was until the first bulb burned out. I couldn't find them at any big-box store which was surprising. Heck, we couldn't find them anywhere! So I went back to the lighting stored that sold me the fixtures and that's when I found out that each stinking bulb cost $14/ea! Even on line, the best price I could find was $10/ea. and that required buying a package of 10.

Next time I buy fixtures, I'll find out what type/cost the bulbs are before I settle. Sheesh!