DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Clamp Meter Findings

7K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  SD515 
#1 ·
Hello;

Thanks you again to those here that suggested the clamp meter to measure current amps on a wire.

I was able to get a meter yesterday, and it works wonderfully. Not sure if anyone has been following my situation or not, but I need to add in more circuits because my old pushmatic is full. I was debating if a service upgrade was necessary (currently at 100A service). The clamp meter has given me some very solid answers to my questions, and has helped me realize that I do not need to spend the money on a service upgrade.

I clamped onto some branch circuits and watched the amps. Then I clipped onto the main, (one side at a time) and watched the amps. I turned on all our lights, washer, dryer (it's gas so it only draws less than a amp) dishwasher, dehumidified, central air, outside floor lights, coffee machines, tv's computer, etc. I watched each leg for a several minutes at a time with everything on, so hopefully my fridges and freezers would cycle on, ( but even if they didn't I know all of them use very little - less than a amp each thanks to my kill-a-watt).

So running everything we have, minus say a vacuum or a power tool, the maximum draw I saw was 22 amps.

So I strongly suspect that we will be able to add in a hot tub with no problem. We are going to a gas stove, have a gas water heater, gas furnace.

Thanks so much for the info on the clamp meter. I am shocked that our big 3 ton AC only draws 3.5 amps, it requires a 30A cir.

Any ideas what a hot tub would draw in the real world, not just what it is labeled for?

Jamie

See less See more
#3 ·
Before you yell at me. I normally buy quality tools, however, I only needed to use this one time, and wanted to buy one right away. So I got the harbor freight meter.

I can easily do a test to verify what I am seeing is accurate. How about a 100 watt incandescent light bulb? What would I see as amp if the meter is working correctly?

Thanks
Jamie

#6 ·
Can I have an Idiot Award?

Yes, it was. I have to redo it.

The directions that came with this clamp meter were very poor. I had never even touched a clamp meter prior to this.

I was holding the wire right near the tip of the clamp and was not allowing the clamp to fully close, so it was not making contact with it's little metal contacts and it was giving false readings. Now that I put it on further and the clamp is closed and the wire is inside the clamp, I am getting accurate readings. I put my Kill-A-Watt on a shop vac, turned it on, and plug it into a circuit where it is the only thing on there. Then I went and measured that circuit, properly this time, and I got the same 11 A reading that the Kill-A watt was showing.

I feel pretty dumb. I was wondering all night how my 1000wats worth of spot lights outside where only taking up about 4 amps, when I calculated that they should pull 8.some amps. I was kind of puzzled on that one... I should have known better and known that my calculations were correct and that the laws of physical are still immutable.

I got the AC back on and am going to go take some new accurate measurements.
jamie

#7 ·
New (Correct) readings

ok, I did the readings again, had just about the same things on, forgot to turn on a handful of lights that was on last time, so my numbers are likely a few amps low. Plus the dehumidifier was off, and it adds like 8 amps or so.

The AC is using 8 amps on the left side and closer to 7 on the right side, putting it around 15 amps for the central air unit. Sounds more logical.

The whole house measured 25 on the left and 23 on the right. So that puts my pull at nearly 50A.

I bet that I have had my panel very very close to being maxed out. I had the same type of load running, plus 1500W (12.5A) of indoor lighting during remodeling, a 15A belt sander, and 2 Vacuums (20A). So I may have been within a couple amps of blowing the main.- but thats not something I do everyday.

In the next year, I plan to install a new espresso machine that will have a slightly higher pull, maybe 5-10 more amps. Also the Hot Tub.

So do I add my sub panel and try watch my load levels and see where I stand once the tub is added or do I just need to bite the bullet and get 200 A service installed before the tub is installed.

Jamie

#8 ·
The whole house measured 25 on the left and 23 on the right. So that puts my pull at nearly 50A.
This is not entirely correct. You do not add the values of the phase conductors together. A 100 amp breaker can carry 100 amps on each phase, not 100 amps total.

Secondly, using an amprobe to measure loads in your house is not a truly accurate way to determine the capacity of your existing service, or determine the need to upgrade depending on the loads you plan to add.

The only way to determine if your service size is sufficient (per code) is to do a service calculation. Unfortunately this is a bit complicated to get into on a DIY website. You may be able to get assistance from the electrical inspector when you pull the permit for the work you intend to do.

#13 ·
Why don't you just make this easier on your part. How many spare breakers slots do you have. You can put as many breakers in your panel that it will allow. When you run out of breaker slots you can check your panel and see if slimlines or double throw single pole breakers can be used. When you have exhausted your panel you start thinking about your upgrade. Sub or new service panel.
You have already mentioned two loads you plan to install. Will your existing panel allow the needed breakers for the new equipment? If the answer is yes, you do not have to do anything.

I applaud your desire to understand how this works. But it is much simpler to just look at capacity and leave the calculations alone.

Silk has explained this very well for you.

PS.....When it's time for the hot tub, call a licensed and insured electrician. Don't mess with hot tubs or pools yourself.

#14 ·
HI;

My panel is Full. I need to add 2 -240 30 Circuits, and at least 3 or 4 20A Circuits. The double breakers will not give me room for the 240's I need, and they are very expensive for the pushmatic box, around $70 each.

Here she is, the old pushmatic box:

Before you comment: The second breaker from the bottom is double wired, I never do this, and have turned this breaker off and am just living with the outlets being disabled for the moment. Also the neutral for one of the wires on that second from the bottom break is slightly burned, another reason I turned the breaker off. -- Mind you I know this was all done by licensed electricians.
There are a couple other breakers off due to remodeling, but the are active circuits.
Directly about the 100A main, there are lugs for attaching wire, just before the main. So they are always hot. There are currently wires on them, they go to a small box next to the panel, I felt this setup was incorrect (as several here confirmed), and there is nothing hot in the box anymore, I plan to pull it when the meter is off. -- However I am curious, Can anyone tell me what a legitimate / legal use of these lugs would be? Since they are before the 100A main?

RE: Hot Tub, I will have my dad help with that project, he's installed tubs before, commercial, 3phase, etc. But he has been very busy lately and I have been trying really hard to learn more myself. As well as educate myself about the current codes, as I know some things change all the time.

Thanks again for the help.
Jamie

#15 ·
Directly about the 100A main, there are lugs for attaching wire, just before the main. So they are always hot. There are currently wires on them, they go to a small box next to the panel, I felt this setup was incorrect (as several here confirmed), and there is nothing hot in the box anymore, I plan to pull it when the meter is off. -- However I am curious, Can anyone tell me what a legitimate / legal use of these lugs would be? Since they are before the 100A main?
jamie

#16 ·
A picture tells a thousand words. Get that panel out. You have nothing to work with keeping it. Forget the sub panel. Install a new 200 amp service with a good brand name panel. ( Square D) would be an excellent choice. That picture seals the deal for me IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.