Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2010, 12:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Circut Breakers Directional?

A little back story:
I have been fighting with a sub pannel instalation for awhile now. The bigest headache has been to transition the 1/0 Al wire to #6 Cu for the last couple of feet back to the source.

I had a knife type fused disconect in there, but just as I Finally got it hooked up, I realized it was broken .

That was the only one of those in the store, and Time is of the essence.

so I ended up getting an airconditioner disconect. It has a [D] cuircut breaker in it that has been gutted from the factory to just act like a switch (way to save those pennys ). I would like to put a 60 amp breaker in there and direct connect it to the main, so I am not pushing the the 100 amp main pannel's limit. the house has a 200 amp service, but 2 x 100 amp pannels, thanks to an electrician who inherited his Dad's biz, but was over his head, so he was getting out of the biz and using up as much old inventory as possible.

Because of the wire sizes, I'd have to hook it up "backwards" in that the terminals would always be live and the bars underneith would be switched, like a main breaker.

Will the 60 amp breaker still work properly? I know the A in AC stands for alternating, so that isn't an issue, but I'd like to know that having one end of the switch always live vs. the other wont make a difference.

Basically I am asking if there is a difference between a 60 amp regular 240 volt breaker and a main breaker.

forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,418

It is possible to backfeed a breaker into the buss and lugs. Breaker hold down clips must be used to prevent the possibility of the breaker coming off the buss.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,032

Circuit breakers are not directional with either AC or DC. It is not unusual to "backfeed" a subpanel using a pair of breakers on adjacent branch circuit slots on one side to provide a master disconnect for that panel with no main breaker up top.

Check your local code to see if that is not permitted.

Note: GFCI and AFCI units are directional; they may not be used as backfeeds or otherwise connected backwards.

Last edited by AllanJ; 06-24-2010 at 08:30 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote