Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2010, 08:55 PM   #1

Share |

Circuit Problems, Please Help!

Hey Folks--

Here is the gist--I have two rooms on the same circuit--the guest room and our bedroom. My wife was in our bedroom earlier when the power went off. The rest of the circuit was still working. I tested the outlets in the guest bedroom and they test fine. The light switch, however, didn't read and the overhead light and fan do not work. I tested the wires coming into the light switch box and got no reading. Went to the closest receptacle and tested the wires leaving and they read correctly. Finally, we've been in the house for under 2 years, so I am working from the assumption that the receptacle I tested and the switch that isn't working follow each other in the circuit. This seems to be the only logical conclusion, as there doesn't appear to be anything else possible that could be between the two. But, I don't know for sure and I don't know how to be sure.

Anyway, bottom line is that I think the connection to the switch is either faulty or the wire itself is...any speculation and/or advice from you all? What would you do next?

Thanks,

Chrisatola

chris.acklen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
" Euro " electrician

First thing you should do is check for backstabbed recepectales and switches that is the first most common cuprits you will find and order do that you have to turn off the circuit and remove the wire from backstabbed and move them to the screw that will take care the issue you have once you have that done and the same time check the wirenuts sometime it can get loosen up as well.

so that should clear up the cuprit you have there.

Merci,
Marc

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
First thing you should do is check for backstabbed recepectales and switches that is the first most common cuprits you will find and order do that you have to turn off the circuit and remove the wire from backstabbed and move them to the screw that will take care the issue you have once you have that done and the same time check the wirenuts sometime it can get loosen up as well.

so that should clear up the cuprit you have there.

Merci,
Marc

I agree 100%
dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:19 PM   #4

Marc,

How do I check for backstabbed recepticales? I've done a limited inspection of the receptacle closest to the switch and it seems fine--nothing loose.

How do I find where the wire coming in to the switch came from, and how do I find where it goes?
Old 06-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Chris.,

It is very simple first thing make sure the circuit is off at the breaker / fuse box then take two screw and unscrew it out and remove the receptale then you will able see backstabbed wire you will need either super fine screwdriver or wiggle back and forth while pulling it out it will come out pretty quick if very loose.

Once you get the wire removed then take a needle nose piler and make a hook { it will look like "J " or sheperd hook } and put on the screws and tighten it down { black to brass screw while White go to sliver screws }

Ditto with the switches.

You may find it in first shot but you will find it sooner or later it kinda not super hard to find it if only two or so receptales but once you solve it it will be good time to take care the rest.

Please make a note the backwired and backstabbed are two complety diffrent set up the backwired will have screw with plate it will hold the wire in really well the backstabbed it will have very thin spring to hold the conductor in place that it.

Merci,
Marc
Old 06-21-2010, 09:46 PM   #6

From your description, I do not have a backstabbed receptacle or switch that I can find. The only thing I notice is that I can't get any reading on my voltage meter when I test the switch. I get the proper reading on the receptacle nearest the switch (and what I presume to be before the switch on the circuit), but nothing when I try the switch.

Thanks again for your help.

Chris

Thanks for the help. After reading about the switch problems, I disconnected the switch and reattached it. everything works now. Guess it was a poor connection.

Thanks for the help!

Chrisatola
Old 06-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #7
I=E/R

If the wires on the outlets and switches are connected using the screws on the side then you don't have backstabbed wiring.
Switch lighting circuits with a single switch are of two basic configurations. One way is were the power is in the ceiling box and a switch leg goes to the switch. You would see a white and black wire connected to the switch with the white wire marked as black using tape. To measure voltage at the switch you would have to measure each terminal on the switch to the ground wire because there isn't a neutral. With the switch off only one screw will read voltage. With the switch on, both screws will measure 120 to the ground wire.
The other way would be if there was power in the switch box. Then the switch leg would go to the light. Since you have a fan, you probably don't have this configuration.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Sure I am glad to help ya on the sistuation.

Just remember when you have more free time you should make a " Circuit map " so you can able tell what circuit it is on for each breaker or fuse { if still have it } so you know what circuit it feed to so you can able make the trouble shooting more easier.

Merci.
Marc
Old 06-22-2010, 09:37 AM   #9

If you lost both hot and neutral it could be a tripped GFCI hidden somewhere.

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote