Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #1

Share |

Circuit Panel Question

We just bought a house and it has a hot tub. Today I decided to change the water and turned off the circuits for it to be safe. When I was finished, I asked my husband to turn them back on. He did and then he pushed the Test button on the switch.

Now that switch doesn't seem to click over as far as the others. Is there a way to reset this? I didn't realize it was an issue till I tried to turn the hot tub back on and couldn't. There is a breaker outside with a pull out thing. "On" faces right-side up, "Off" faces upside down. I tried pulling that out and putting it back in but it didn't do anything. The sellers had mentioned that when the power goes out, we'd occasionally have to do that, but I don't really know if it did anything.

Any ideas? I'm sure it is a simple solution, but I have no clue since I have never done anything like this before.

Last edited by erinuncool; 10-05-2009 at 05:13 PM.
erinuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:10 PM   #2

Circuit Panel Question

Try to set the breaker all the way in the off position then turn back on

300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #3

Circuit Panel Question

If he used the trip button on the gfci then you need to turn breaker in the off position all the way. Then turn back on
Old 10-05-2009, 05:29 PM   #4

Circuit Panel Question

The test button that was pressed is in the main circuit panel. I've turned them from off to on a few times now, but it wont do anything. There is no reset button that I can find in the circuit panel and the breaker outside doesn't have any sort of reset button either.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:38 PM   #5

Circuit Panel Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinuncool View Post
The test button that was pressed is in the main circuit panel. I've turned them from off to on a few times now, but it wont do anything. There is no reset button that I can find in the circuit panel and the breaker outside doesn't have any sort of reset button either.
So you turned off the main breaker to home?
\
Old 10-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #6

Circuit Panel Question

Some times they are hard to reset put some force in it when you slam it into the off position most breakers you will hear a click
Old 10-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Circuit Panel Question

If you pushed the test button, you tripped the breaker.
To reset a tripped breaker, the breaker has to be turned to the off position before you can turn it on.

The test button is for a gfci breaker.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #8

Circuit Panel Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
If you pushed the test button, you tripped the breaker.
To reset a tripped breaker, the breaker has to be turned to the off position before you can turn it on.

The test button is for a gfci breaker.
But the OP says that she did reset the breaker in the panel from OFF to ON.
Maybe there is a manual reset switch near the Jacuzzi. Or simply a timer that has to be SET. (as opposed to RESET).(No matter what) Don't Drink and Drive, Ever!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #9

Circuit Panel Question

Thanks everyone for your help.

Not to be a complete idiot, but nothing has worked. I looked through the hot tub manual and it sounds like it should just power on when it's hooked up. I can't find a power switch anywhere.

This is the test button I was talking about. I can't find a reset and turning the main breaker off and on did not reset it:

This is the thing outside that I was trying to mess with. I pulled it out and put it back in, not knowing if it would do anything but that's what the sellers pointed to when they were talking about power outages and having to do something with it:

I am at a loss as to what else I should try. My husband suggested trying to get ahold of the seller's agent to see if they have their phone number if nothing else.

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 10-07-2009 at 09:47 AM. Reason: inserted pic
Old 10-07-2009, 10:55 AM   #10

Circuit Panel Question

That red handled thing you pulled out. Pull it out, turn it over and put it back in. Thats a manual disconnect.

It's looks like it is "on" to me, but I cannot be certain. When you pull it out, it will be very obvious how it goes back in. The two stabs on the back of this red disconnect should slide into two copper holders nice and snug. It is possible when you took it out, you did put it back in right or it is upside down which is "off"

Last edited by J. V.; 10-07-2009 at 11:06 AM.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:20 AM   #11

Circuit Panel Question

Thanks. I tried that with the pull out initially, but the prongs inside only go one way and there is no way to insert it with "off" facing up.

It boggles my mind!
Old 10-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
Electrical Contractor

Circuit Panel Question

When you press the test button now, does that breaker trip?
If not, then the breaker has not been reset or is bad.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:28 AM   #13

Circuit Panel Question

I should add this:

After the test button was pushed, it looks like the black plastic part on the "hot tub" switch is kind of sticking out. Does it pop out when test is pushed? It's just weird because it doesn't seem like it lets me move the switch all the way, and kind of seems like if it could be pressed in a little the switch would move more. I don't know. All I know is that it's still in "test" mode because it wont click when I press it, whereas it did when it was pushed before.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #14

Circuit Panel Question

Once again, wiggle the test button to make sure it's not stuck in the down position, flip the breaker to off then on, make sure the disconnect is fully seated, and make sure the hot tub doesn't have some type of manual reset on the control box. If none of these work, you'll need to find someone that knows how to use a voltage meter. You need to find out how far the power is getting so you can start isolating the problem. You've done all the things that would typically fix this situation but it seems like you have another problem.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #15

Angry

Circuit Panel Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
Once again, wiggle the test button to make sure it's not stuck in the down position, flip the breaker to off then on, make sure the disconnect is fully seated, and make sure the hot tub doesn't have some type of manual reset on the control box. If none of these work, you'll need to find someone that knows how to use a voltage meter. You need to find out how far the power is getting so you can start isolating the problem. You've done all the things that would typically fix this situation but it seems like you have another problem.
This poster (me) suggested earlier to look for a manual reset switch around the Hot Tub. Apparently this will not be solved despite the best efforts of everyone (except the dealer) involved. To do the right thing, --after the fact-- the dealer should send a technician to the house. On another level. The manufacturer should have a "Hot Line", manned by professionals to guide a New customer through the starting process. (No matter what)Don't Drink and Drive, Ever!!!

spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote