Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #1

Share |

circuit with no power

I arced a lighting circuit installing a ceiling fan, no power down the line thru junction boxes to the breaker. No breaker shows as off. Where do I go from here. I am not sure which breaker to look at. Could a breaker be bad without showing as bad or open???

markstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

circuit with no power

Breakers trip to the middle position, and sometimes it is hard to tell when they trip.
Turn each breaker off, then back on to find the tripped breaker.
After you complete this task, take time to identify each circuit and where it goes.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:18 AM   #3

circuit with no power

Thanks, I tried that already, all the obvious breakers were turned off and back on. No luck. Is there a way to test a breaker, do they go bad even when in the on position
Old 08-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

circuit with no power

I still think you missed a tripped breaker. Run your hand down the row of handles to see if one feels out of place. Breakers rarely go bad in my experience.

It is also possible that you tripped a GFI.
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:13 PM   #5

circuit with no power

I have repeatedly checked the breakers, none appear to be tripped, they all line up in the on position.

How do I check with a circuit tester to find the breaker if no current is in the wire for the transmitter?
Old 08-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #6

circuit with no power

Quote:
Originally Posted by markstro View Post
I have repeatedly checked the breakers, none appear to be tripped, they all line up in the on position.

How do I check with a circuit tester to find the breaker if no current is in the wire for the transmitter?

do a continuity test with a multimeter set to the contiuity test setting, so that when you touch the probes together it emits a ringing noise (most cheap meters will have this setting), or get a tone tracer. This is how I typically trace out dead circuits.
BCSparkyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #7

circuit with no power

You were installing a fan on a live circuit? Mistake #1
Even with the switch off there can be power in the box
Even with the breaker off there can be power from a 2nd circuit in the box

You don't have breakers marked with what they control? Mistake #2
That's one of the 1st things I did when I moved in (Apt or my own house)

Have you also looked for GFCI's, AFCI's?
You may also need to verify each connection in other lights that are on this circuit
Could be a loose connection that now has a bad contact due to arcing

You will need to turn all breakers FULLY off, then back on to verify they are on. Not just some of them, you can of course (hopefully) ignore the 240v breakers
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:56 AM   #8
" Euro " electrician

circuit with no power

Quote:
Originally Posted by markstro View Post
I arced a lighting circuit installing a ceiling fan, no power down the line thru junction boxes to the breaker. No breaker shows as off. Where do I go from here. I am not sure which breaker to look at. Could a breaker be bad without showing as bad or open???

That is very classic mistake there before you ever change any luminare or light switches etc etc .,

Second thing is you should write down on your breaker box to tell what circuit it is on that room.,

Now for troubleshooting I betcha you have connection gone bad or the switch allready done for it that is two most likey cuprits you will find.

Check the switch and get new single pole or three way toggle switch get them from any hardware store or big box store and they are cheap useally under a buck/euro a piece.

Once you install the new switch then go from there see if you have any loose connection at the recpectales escpally with backstabbers that is good for frizted out.

Before you do it make sure you get a simple test light like neon test light that are only few bucks/euros either it will lit up or not.

I know it will take little more time but start at the switch first then work it way down once you allready check the receptales then check for any junction boxes normally it will be either up in attic or in basement but from time to time someone make a boneheaded move and buried the box in the wall.{ that I get it from time to time }

Merci,Marc

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote