Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-29-2008, 10:40 AM   #1

Share |

Circuit Mapping Help

I have a circuit in mind for my basement reno. but need help planning the wiring - perhaps you could assist me ( please write in elementary terms - I'm a simple man! ). What I want to do is:

Panel....to L1...to L2...( both controlled by one switch )...power continues to...L3 ( controlled by it's own switch )....power continues to a double switch ( 1st switch controls a light )....L4....( 2nd switch controls an exhaust fan )...power continues on to...L5 ( controlled by it's own switch )....power continues to L6 ( controlled by it's own switch ).

Hope that is sufficient.

Much appreciated,
DSD

DeepSeaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:11 PM   #2

Circuit Mapping Help

Sounds pretty basic. You can run 2-conductor cable for everything (12 or 14) and route it just as you wrote in you post. Each of your lights will require a switch loop be run to each switch (both conductors are hot, color the white one black on the ends) or you can route your power run through the switch boxes and then a leg up to each light.

Basically you can route power to the light or switch. In my house I chose based on the cable run and which way would take the least wire and which way would stay under the fill count for each size box (limit on how much crap you can stuff in a box).

Don't know if that helped or hurt....by the way, I am not an electrician , so take it for what it's worth.

steve1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #3

Circuit Mapping Help

oops....sorry, as you wrote in your post except for the first light. Go panel - L1. From L1 you need a switch leg and a cable to L2.
steve1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #4

Circuit Mapping Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1234 View Post
Sounds pretty basic. You can run 2-conductor cable for everything (12 or 14) and route it just as you wrote in you post. Each of your lights will require a switch loop be run to each switch (both conductors are hot, color the white one black on the ends) or you can route your power run through the switch boxes and then a leg up to each light.

Basically you can route power to the light or switch. In my house I chose based on the cable run and which way would take the least wire and which way would stay under the fill count for each size box (limit on how much crap you can stuff in a box).

Don't know if that helped or hurt....by the way, I am not an electrician , so take it for what it's worth.
...very much - thanks!

DSD
Old 02-29-2008, 01:12 PM   #5
Licensed Pro

Circuit Mapping Help

Run the power to each of the switch boxes (panel->box1 ->box2 -> etc.), run single **/2 cable to the lights. Much easier to wire, much easier to work on later, neutrals available at each switch if needed.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:43 PM   #6

Circuit Mapping Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseHelper View Post
Run the power to each of the switch boxes (panel->box1 ->box2 -> etc.), run single **/2 cable to the lights. Much easier to wire, much easier to work on later, neutrals available at each switch if needed.
Thanks for that option as well.

Regards,
DSD