Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Circuit for exterior GFI's

I am completely re-wiring a house in Ontario Canada and wanted to know if the 2 GFI protected receptacles I am putting on the exterior walls have to be on a separate circuit or can be combined with an existing circuit for other interior lights, plugs, etc.

djgap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 154

They can be on another circuit. Keep total load in mind though. Often power and garden tools are used on outside outlets and have a fairly high amp pull.

matt151617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

The outdoor plugs need to have their own circuit. They cannot be tied into anything on the interior of the house. Also make sure if you installing two gfci receptacles you don't run one of them off the load side of the other. If you run off the load side just use a regular receptacle.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Somehow I would have guessed that...that is why I didn't answer. I actually kind of like that rule.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,056

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
Somehow I would have guessed that...that is why I didn't answer. I actually kind of like that rule.

Eh, its just a general purpose receptacle, who the hell knows what they do in canada though.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
Master Electrician

we do all kinds of crazy things
26-714 Receptacles for single dwellings (see Appendices B and G)
This Rule applies to receptacles for single dwellings only as follows:
(a) for each single dwelling, at least one duplex receptacle shall be installed outdoors so as to be readily
accessible from ground or grade level for the use of appliances that need to be used outdoors;

(b) at least one duplex receptacle shall be provided for each car space in a garage or carport of a single
dwelling; and
(c) one receptacle shall be provided in a garage for each cord-connected overhead garage door opener and
shall be located within 1 m of the overhead door opener.

26-724 Branch circuits for single dwellings (see Appendix I)
This Rule applies to branch circuits for single dwellings only as follows:
(a) outdoor receptacles readily accessible from ground level and installed in accordance with Rule 26-714(a)
shall be supplied from at least one branch circuit dedicated for those outdoor receptacles;
and
(b) at least one branch circuit shall be provided solely for the receptacles in a carport or garage of a single
dwelling, except that the luminaires and garage door operator for these areas may be connected to this
circuit.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,056

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
we do all kinds of crazy things
26-714 Receptacles for single dwellings (see Appendices B and G)
This Rule applies to receptacles for single dwellings only as follows:
(a) for each single dwelling, at least one duplex receptacle shall be installed outdoors so as to be readily
accessible from ground or grade level for the use of appliances that need to be used outdoors;

(b) at least one duplex receptacle shall be provided for each car space in a garage or carport of a single
dwelling; and
(c) one receptacle shall be provided in a garage for each cord-connected overhead garage door opener and
shall be located within 1 m of the overhead door opener.

26-724 Branch circuits for single dwellings (see Appendix I)
This Rule applies to branch circuits for single dwellings only as follows:
(a) outdoor receptacles readily accessible from ground level and installed in accordance with Rule 26-714(a)
shall be supplied from at least one branch circuit dedicated for those outdoor receptacles;
and
(b) at least one branch circuit shall be provided solely for the receptacles in a carport or garage of a single
dwelling, except that the luminaires and garage door operator for these areas may be connected to this
circuit.

Let me ask you this, is there something specific you guys use outside to justify this requirement? Because I don't see any added safety by requiring this, more of a design choice which should not be enforced on anyone. (Not that the NEC would ever violate ones wallet and force something ridiculous to be installed. )

Last edited by stickboy1375; 07-10-2012 at 05:26 PM.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
Master Electrician

ya i really have no idea why its like that, i mean a pressure washer can draw a fair bit but on the whole i guess they just figure anything you use outside like and electric mower or weed eater will have a large draw.