Circuit Continuity - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2004, 02:41 PM   #1

Cool

Circuit continuity

I'm finishing my basement, and I've gotten my outlets working on one circuit. I'm starting on switches and lights now on a separate circuit, and I'm stuck on something very elementary: I can't figure out how to continue the circuit after wiring up the first switch/overhead light combination.

Can anyone help?
TIA!

Advertisement

Old 11-24-2004, 03:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Circuit continuity

Continue to where? Another light?

Advertisement

pipeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 08:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Circuit continuity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
I'm finishing my basement, and I've gotten my outlets working on one circuit. I'm starting on switches and lights now on a separate circuit, and I'm stuck on something very elementary: I can't figure out how to continue the circuit after wiring up the first switch/overhead light combination.

Can anyone help?
TIA!

Lights aren't wired like outlets. You have to run all the power wires to a switch. So if all your lighting is on one breaker then you can run that power wire to a junction box and run power wires to each switch. Or feed the power wire through the switchbox to another switch. I would run the main power wire to a junction box then feed the power wires to each switch. Depending on how many lights and switches you're going to install.
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 11:45 PM   #4

Circuit continuity

Don't take this wrong, but you need to hire a pro before you burn your house to the ground.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:06 AM   #5
Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Circuit continuity

Another unregistered 'expert', ex being 'has been' and spurt being 'a drip under pressure'.
Visit us again soon and let us know your expertise.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 03:17 PM   #6

Circuit continuity

This unregistered expert has a Master's electrical license.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:53 PM   #7

Talking

Circuit continuity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
This unregistered expert has a Master's electrical license.

Yeah?! and what? So does the guy that let's me sign off on his license. Doen't mean a thing. People only get mad when other people attempt things on they're because they have a hard time getting work so they rebel on do it yourselfers. Get over it and be gone. You shouldn't sweat people that you don't know. You shouldn't sweat anyone at all. Unless they are better then you by your standards. So no need to admit the denile you're about to post because we already know you're sweating
Old 11-26-2004, 05:18 PM   #8
Contractor

Circuit continuity

It's really difficult to tell one 'unregistered' from another, one never knows the level of expertise of the 'unreg' giving the advice.
It only takes a minute to register and it gives everone an idea of who they are dealing with. For instance, we now know that we have a Master Electrician on the thread but how will we know which responses are from him and which come from some other 'unreg'?
Old 11-27-2004, 06:19 PM   #9

Circuit continuity

Well, I do hold the master's, certainly wasn't "sweating" anyone, just don't care to register. I've seen thousands of do-it-yourself wiring jobs that were real bad. I don't even think they should be allowed to sell electrical or natural gas parts to amateurs. Yeah, it's your house. For now. Someday the amateur could sell and somebody else's family will die in the fire. Electrical work isn't neurosurgery, there's a zillion of us doing it, but I contend that if you don't know what your doing, hire a pro. I don't work on my car, I don't do my own plumbing. They have professionals for that and I don't mind paying to have it done right. Sorry if I offended.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:20 AM   #10
Contractor

Circuit continuity

unreg. master, I have a friend who is a car salesman, he also happens to be a very fine woodworker (his hobby). To walk into his garage gives me the creeps as it is a spiderweb of extension cords and extension recepticals. He will never pay an electrician to straighten out this mess, he calls them all crooks, mind you that this is coming from a car salesman.
I understand your position except for not wanting to register.

Advertisement