Circuit Breakers - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2011, 04:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Circuit breakers

I just purchased a house & moved in April this year. I have 2 circuit breakers that are tripping. One to my dryer and one to my kitchen outlets & lights. The dryer breaker is now off until I get to that problem. The kitchen breaker is now blowing but only when I turn on a specific light switch. The light did have a dimmer on it and it would buzz and the light would flicker. I was told it was my high efficiency light bulbs and I need to remove the dimmer switch. Of course, I did not do that quickly. :\ Two days ago the circuit breaker to the light blew when I tried to turn on the light. I replaced the dimmer switch, but unfortunately that did not work and it continues to blow the circuit breaker (even without light bulbs in the light fixture). The switch has an outlet on it also, I can use that just fine...just don't turn on the light.

Questions: any ideas on the light switch problem would be helpful. Second - is it possible these two problems are connected? Two circuit breakers that are flipping off makes me a bit nervous.

Thanks

Advertisement

owlwomyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Circuit breakers

Dryer should be on its own circuit so it has nothing to do with the light switch.

Are you saying you replaced the kitchen dimmer switch with another kitchen dimmer switch? What do you mean by high efficiency light bulbs. Are you trying to dim compact florescents or something? Not going to work.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Circuit breakers

no I replaced dimmer switch with a regular switch and yes the lightbulbs were the compact fluorescent. Now..there are no bulbs in the light fixture and a regular flip switch...still blowing the circuit breaker.
owlwomyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Circuit breakers

Could be a loose ground wire at the box. Breaker switch itself has bought the farm.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote