DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Circuit breaker Type Q vs QP

60K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jbfan 
#1 · (Edited)
Could someone please explain the difference between a Type Q and Type QP circuit breaker?
I'm dealing with an ITE Load Center.
It has SIEMENS breakers,
I have a 15 AMP, single pole, Q115, Type QP. Others in the panel are Type Q.
So, I said to myself,"What's the difference?"

No luck on just plain google search.

Thanks.

#4 ·
QP Breaker question

Have a Cutler Hammer 200 Amp Load Center, but can't read the model #. it is located in the basement of a residence which was flooded and part of the buss bar is corroded requiring either replacement of the bar or the entire box.

The panel had QP type breakers installed, but I have been told they should not be used in a Cutler Hammer panel. Can someone please help me in telling me what panel would be compatible with these type of breakers.

#5 ·
Have a Cutler Hammer 200 Amp Load Center, but can't read the model #. it is located in the basement of a residence which was flooded and part of the buss bar is corroded requiring either replacement of the bar or the entire box.

The panel had QP type breakers installed, but I have been told they should not be used in a Cutler Hammer panel. Can someone please help me in telling me what panel would be compatible with these type of breakers.
If the panel was flooded, then so were the breakers.

Replace both!!!

#7 ·
Thanks for the advice which didn't answer the question... not the entire basement was flooded so the majority of the breakers are still in good shape. Care to help by answering the question without being snotty?
I'm not being snotty:censored:

If the buss bar is corroded, then you need to replace the panel, because you will not find a replacement buss bar.

This also means you will have some corroded breakers.
Breakers are too cheap in price to put old ones back into a new panel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.