Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2010, 06:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Circuit Breaker trips when I plug into an outlet

In my home a circuit breaker pops whenever I plug in a tv or lamp into an outlet. Actually, I have three outlets on the same breaker with this problem. We have a ceiling light on this breaker that does not cause the breaker to pop.
I have replaced two of the outlets and the problem continued. When I went to replace outlet number three, I noticed the ground wire, the neutral wire and the hot wire had turned green! This is a one story 30 year old home. We have had the roof leaks patched up in the past.
The wiring from the outlets to the breaker box is in the attic. Could rain be causing these wires to oxidize and turn green?
Is it possible to replace the wiring behind the wall that runs from this "green" outlet to the junction box?

Alex in Orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,036

I would say that somewhere there are 2ires that touch and short circuit at the moment you plug in somthing. If you pressed your finger on the outlet without plugging in anything does the breaker trip>?

Yes you can replace the wires but you would have to tear open the wall.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Allan is right. I had the same experience. Our bathroom was renovated prior to moving in. Whenever we plug on the outlet in the room next to the bathroom, the breaker pops. We found out that the wire in the new bathroom outlet was tapped from the wire in the old outlet that's connected to the room outlet. The old outlet was behind the newly tiled walls. We had to break the tiles to check on the wires.
MagicalHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:04 AM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicalHome View Post
Allan is right. I had the same experience. Our bathroom was renovated prior to moving in. Whenever we plug on the outlet in the room next to the bathroom, the breaker pops. We found out that the wire in the new bathroom outlet was tapped from the wire in the old outlet that's connected to the room outlet. The old outlet was behind the newly tiled walls. We had to break the tiles to check on the wires.
This one of the main reason why the code do not allow hidden junction box at all that will cause alot of issue to do the troubleshooting.

I have ran into like this many time and few homeowners were not very happy but once they see the hidden juction box they will wise up a bit.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
"green" wires, breaker pops, rain