Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2012, 10:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

circuit breaker panel

I need to shut down the circuit breaker #6 in the attached photo. Breakers #2, 4, 6 and 8 are connected and I cannot just shot down #6.

Any advice? Do I need to call a licensed electrician or could a handyman do the job?

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
circuit breaker panel-circuitbreakerleftside1.jpg  

gaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

circuit breaker panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaho View Post
I need to shut down the circuit breaker #6 in the attached photo. Breakers #2, 4, 6 and 8 are connected and I cannot just shot down #6.

Any advice? Do I need to call a licensed electrician or could a handyman do the job?

Thank you.
It depending if you have main breaker in there or not.

But what this breaker is feed to what kind of load like subpanel or what?? and by the way someone marked 2,4 is basic a full size breaker not the tandeam on the oppiste side as you see it.

Merci,
Marc

Old 12-28-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
Licensed Electrician

circuit breaker panel

Why would you think you only need to shut off #6?

That breaker feeds some sort of 240V load (most likely a sub panel) and you will want to shut off all power to that load.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #4

circuit breaker panel

I don't know much about electrical wiring. I recently moved to this house and found out that the water pump for the well is constantly running pumping water. The water pump is in the shed and the shed gets flooded as a result. Since I have no use for the well water, I want to shut it down this way because there seems to be no switch attached to the well pump.

FYI, #2 is for heat, #4 for basement lights #6 for well pump and #8 for dryer.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #5
" Euro " electrician

circuit breaker panel

Quote:
I don't know much about electrical wiring. I recently moved to this house and found out that the water pump for the well is constantly running pumping water. The water pump is in the shed and the shed gets flooded as a result. Since I have no use for the well water, I want to shut it down this way because there seems to be no switch attached to the well pump.

It best to call in electrician you have major issue with the items you listed that is way too big a breaker for those circuit

Second thing all the well system I know they will have pressure switch to control the water pressure so that is the other item it will be addressed one way or other. ya using the city water or still on the well system I know some case some area may have two wells.

Merci,
Marc
gaho (12-28-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 11:16 PM   #6
Licensed Electrician

circuit breaker panel

Quote:

You are mistaken and reading the numbering incorrectly. The breakers on the right hand side of the panel are the even numbers and the breakers on the left are the odd numbers.

I am going to assume you are talking about the breakers shown on the left...they would actually be 1,3/5, 7/9, 11/13. From what you are describing as what they control, I think the labels are wrong.

I would believe that heat would be on a single pole 15A breaker, but basement lights are not on a 50A 2 pole breaker, unless that breaker controls a subpanel the basement lights are fed from.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
gaho (12-28-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
" Euro " electrician

circuit breaker panel

Is this the only breaker box you have in the house or you have couple other breaker boxes?

It will be a good time to find them quick due you mention basement so they should be a breaker box or two in that area otherwise you may have other one at main floor and some case at other buildings like detached garage or others type of building.

BTW can you take the photo of whole breaker box ?

Merci,
Marc
Old 12-28-2012, 11:51 PM   #8

circuit breaker panel

Thank you, k_buz and frenchelectrician !!

After reading your comments, I went to the basement and looked around. The labels on the panel door (not shown in the picture) were indeed mislabeled. I found two separate sheets describing the breakers in two panels (main and sub).

According to one sheet the two breakers controlling the well pump were indeed on the left side. I just switched off those two corresponding breakers. Since it is raining heavily outside now, I will check the well pump tomorrow morning, but I am confident that my problem is solved now.

Thanks again.