Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Circuit Breaker operation

For example if you turn off your main 100 amp braker and feed 220 thru a double pole braker in that box would it still trip like it normally should if you draw more than whats rated on that double braker. I am only asking cause my neighbor is hooking up a Generator to his house temporally because of hurricane Sandy. he is going to have a gen transfer bralker panel installed asap but after this storm passes.

wallyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 22

Yes it will and i hope he doesn't do that!

He needs to use cords until it can be installed properly!

joecaption (10-29-2012), micromind (10-29-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyo View Post
he is going to have a gen transfer bralker panel installed asap but after this storm passes.
That's what they all say. Panic now, do the right thing later.
WHY NOT just do the right thing BEFORE you need it???
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
brric (10-29-2012), jbfan (10-29-2012), micromind (10-29-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
Idiot Emeritus

Suppose your friend backfeeds his panel this way (it's not even close to legal....) and suppose a lineman is killed somewhere in the vicinity.

The police and some sort of electrical inspector will very likely visit every house that has a gen in operation.

It will be up to your friend to prove that his installation is not the one responsible for the death of the lineman. If the installation is legal, no problem. If it is not legal, most likely your friend will be riding out the rest of storm in the local jail.

It will get expensive from there.......

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyo View Post
For example if you turn off your main 100 amp braker and feed 220 thru a double pole braker in that box would it still trip like it normally should if you draw more than whats rated on that double braker. I am only asking cause my neighbor is hooking up a Generator to his house temporally because of hurricane Sandy. he is going to have a gen transfer bralker panel installed asap but after this storm passes.
You neighbor will be heavily fined and possibly be unable to obtain service in the future if he gets caught. This is an illegal installation and these are the types which kill linemen. He need to buy a few long, heavy cords and make do with those until he can actuall install it correctly. I fear that these installations will be done in the next few days by homowners who think they know what they are doing. They are literally playing with a life and death situation.
Dave632 (10-29-2012), Jim Port (10-29-2012), micromind (10-29-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #6

Ok just a follow up on what he did here. We went to home depot and picked up a little 6 space sub panal. he mounted it next to the old panel and pulled the wires from his brakers (nutral and grounds included) for furnace, fridge, bedroom/living room, and kitchen lights and moved them to the new sub panel each to their own 15 amp braker. and wired the generator directly to that panal. after power is restored he will remove the generator wires and wire the sub panel to the main panal with 60 amp 220 braker. but he wants to see if he can find a small 2pole double throw center off main disconnect to put between it so he can put a twistlock connector outside the house. hows this setup? my opinion to him this was the better way and safe way.
its been a week now with out power and with all the poles laying around the neighborhood it don't look like anytime soon.

wallyo is offline   Reply With Quote