Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2010, 08:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Circuit breaker does not shut of circuit

I just bought a home and I found that I have a few circuit breakers that do not shutoff the circuit, any ideas?

dpriemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpriemer View Post
I just bought a home and I found that I have a few circuit breakers that do not shutoff the circuit, any ideas?
You have keep one breaker off and keep going with others until you see the circuit is off if that the case there is a crossed connection circuit that need to be addressed quick.

Before you do that is the breaker box do have main breaker in there or not some case with some older home they will have split buss panel you have to turn everything off on upper half of the breaker box that will shut off the bottom half.

From time to time but not too often but I do see the breaker stuck on that is the good time to replace it. { depending on what brand the breaker box and age }

Merci.
Marc

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:43 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

sounds like some kind of crossed connection from another circuit. the previous owners may have tried to connect something but accidentally connected it into the wrong circuit. i would call an electrician and have it checked out.
duffman555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:05 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 688

Sounds like a replaced split circuit receptacle on the same "phase" that somebody didn't remove the connecting link from the lower to the upper outlet.
bobelectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:39 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,036

Start with all branch circuits (small breakers) off and the main breaker on. Then turn on branch circuit breakers one at a time.

Make a note of:

1. Portions of a circuit that are controlled by a different breaker from that which was hand labeled in the breaker box (not an urgent problem),

2. Circuits or portions of a circuit that go on when either of two breakers is turned on. Anything like this is dangerous and needs to be fixed quickly,

3. Circuits that are still on even when no branch circuits are on. If you have any of these, finish the other tests and then turn off all the breakers and use a voltmeter to see which branch circuit breaker screw is still alive. This will help find a defective, stuck on, breaker.

If you have several plug-in lights that will make it easier and quicker to turn on one breaker and see what comes alive. For example do all the receptacles in one room or two adjacent rooms at once. Top and bottom receptacle fed by different circuits is not common except in the kitchen. If you did run into one you would need to plug lights into top and bottom receptacles at all locations to be sure you caught them all. Some breakers will have their handles joined. For now just mark the affected receptacles with something like "circuit 18 or 19".

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-15-2010 at 09:49 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote